5-7 Fletcher was designed as a duplex house, side by side units, wood clapboard siding, shutters and hip roof. Long front porch. Four of this style constrution were on Fletcher Street. at 5-7, 13-15, 4-6 and 12-14.
Three houses of this style survived on original locations at 1-3 and 9-11 Binney Street and 45-47 Union Street.
5 – 7 Fletcher Street – Wilfred & Bertha Dwyer House 9-72 Two Family – 9000 sq. ft.
In June 1932 the Textile Realty Co. sold the property holdings to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. They continued to sell and lease the properties. The first two tenants listed on April 1,1924 were Samuel & Rose A. Ayotte, at #5. Samuel is listed as a Loom fixer at the American Woolen Co. They lived here about ten years. In 1932 Samuel is working at J. W. Company.
#7 is occupied by Fred S. & Louise Pidgeon, Weaver for American Woolen Co. A son Frederick H. age 29 in 1925 is a salesman. They lived here in 1930 but no longer listed in 1932.
The property was finally sold to Wilfred T. & Bertha L. Dwyer on July 13, 1940. Dwyers would own for 20 years before the property was taken on Dec. 29, 1960 by the State for construction of Route 495. Wilfred Theodore Dwyer was born August 18, 1908 in Lincoln Nebraska, son of Michael & Annie (Williamson) Dwyer. His father was a Dairy farmer, but moved the family to Andover as they are listed at 53 Whittier St. in the 1920 Census. Wilfred T. graduated from Punchard High School in 1925, when to college and became an Industrial Engineer. Wilfred married on Nov. 12, 1932 in Plaistow, NH to Bertha Smith b. 1906 in Lawrence, MA dau. of John & Nellie (Buchan) Smith. They had two sons, Edward S. b. 1939 and Douglas S. b. 1947. Edward graduated from the last class of PHS in 1957. The Dwyers moved out in 1961 but house survived. The two-family home was the last remaining house on Fletcher Street and was sold and moved to a new location in Lawrence, MA.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #876 – June 1932 – Textile Realty Co - Lot #12
Map #1050 – March 1937 – amended map #876 for narrowing street.
Plan 4205 - Comm. of Mass. lot 9-75
Plan 5056 - Comm. of Mass - Layout of order of taking
Ephraim Everson parcel 1 & Solomon Flagg parcel 2
William C. Donald - March 3, 1855 - b. 567 leaf 246 - parcel 1 Salem deed
William C. Donald - Jan. 15, 1861 - b. 623 leaf 128 - parcel 2 Salem deed
William C Donald estate, Gordon Donald, TR - 9.86 acres
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52 - 9.86 acres
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 229
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - Oct. 30, 1937 b. 565 p. 87
Wilfred T. & Bertha L. Dwyer – July 13, 1940 – b. 632 p. 294
Commonwealth Of Massachusetts – Dec. 29, 1960 – b. 929 p. 334-352
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Wilfred & Bertha Dwyer House|
|Present Use||Highway Route 495|
|Original Use||Mill Housing|
|Move Details||Moved to Lawrence 1962|
|Acreage||9000 sq. feet|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 8, 2023|