Small, vernacular building,
This home was most likely built as a tenement home for mill worker and his family. The five room 3 bedroom house is snuggled into the hillside on Baker Lane. Abbott Village was established early in the 1800's with the more than adequate water source to power the mills. Abel & Paschal Abbott moved their wool mill operation here from North Parish about 1813 and had a successful business until about 1838 when the market turned. The mill buildings were then sold to Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. in 1843. The company was established in 1835 at Frye Village (Shawsheen Village) and moved up river to this location.
William Johnson sold this property to John Dove on Sept. 13, 1855 excluding a lot he sold off to James Saunders in 1860. George W.W. Dove, son of John acquired the property and then sold to Alexander Dear. Oct. 1882. Dear paid $2100 for two lots, the first on Bakers Lane, "a certain lot of land with a small dwelling house thereon, situated in "Abbott Village" beginning at an iron pin at the NE corner by land formerly of Thomas Donovan, east 38' 9" to land formerly of John Harding, SW 38' to a passage way leading to what was once the Bake House, thence by said passageway NW to 37' land of formerly of said Donovan, thence by last named NE 38' to the iron pin. together with the privilege of passing and re-passing from said road to the conveyed premises through the passageway called "Bakers lane. Also the right to draw water at all reasonable times and in a reasonable quantity from the well in front of the old bake house near said premises." The second lot, also in Abbott Village, of one acre was near the school house on Cuba Street.
Alexander died and Agnes K. Dear inherited the property. She sold to Smith and Dove Manufacturing Co. in Dec. 6, 1918. The lot is #34 on the plan map 676 of Smith & Dove property 1927.
Smith & Dove recognized the need for operative housing and slowly acquired several homes in the immediate area. They also built quality housing for their working force at 62-84 Essex St. and all the double homes on Brechin Terrace. Every home on Baker Lane was once owned by Smith & Dove. The company reorganized in 1864 and again in 1912 bringing all their properties together into one deed.
The company supplied their workers with a Village Hall for community gatherings, and built “Hillside” on Shawsheen Rd. for single women workers, provided childcare service, bowling alley, laundry and large dining room also used for meetings and parities. The company also bought the old Cricket Field off Lupine Rd. for the company soccer, football and baseball teams.
William H. Skinner conveyed all rights on Baker Lane to John Smith, President of Smith & Dove Co. on May 18, 1850. It was the first of eight properties acquired by the company on the lane between 1850 and 1918.
In 1927 the Smith & Dove Co. was sold to the Ludlow Co. The housing real estate was placed in the Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. that year, changing the name to Andover Homes, Inc. that were then sold off into private hands. The company operations were moved to Ludlow, MA and the mill closed in 1928.
Virgil D. Harrington, of Andover Homes, Inc. sold off the properties. The house remained vacant for three years before Titus & Alice Corkum of Cambridge, MA, purchased the property on July 19, 1932. which comprised two lots #33 & #34 on map #682 of S & D Co. holdings in 1927. Corkum also purchased the Village Hall lot at 77 Essex St. which he held until 1940. They rented the house as Austin M. Hastings, a steam fitter, wife Susan and Mary Hastings are here in 1935.
In 1937 Walter H. & Hazel G. (Broughn) Baker are listed and they purchased the house Aug. 19, 1938. Walter was a laborer employed by the town. The Bakers were long time residents of nearly 59 years. Hazel Gertrude was born in Annapolis, Nova Scotia daughter of Arthur & Mary (Corkum) Broughn. Hazel died Nov. 9, 1967 and Walter on April 3, 1996.
The property was sold by the Baker estate to Phillip Hollenbek in Oct. 1996. He married and later sold to Michael B. Arthur in Nov. 2000. Michael Arthur and family had owned 51 Red Spring Rd. before selling to his son Peter. Michel was here about 6 years before selling to the current owner Glen Ippolito in 2007.
In the period photo below you will note that another house once occupied the lot on the north side of the house. It had been razed by Smith & Dove long before the sale in 1927.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover, S. Bailey 1880
William Johnson et al
John Dove - Sept. 13, 1855 - b. 519 leaf 147 Salem deeds
George W. W. Dove -
Alexander Dear - Oct. 25, 1882 - b. 69 p. 546
Agnes K. Dear from Alexander Dear
Smith & Dove Manufacturing CO. - Dec. 6, 1918 - b. 393 p. 209
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co., Geo. F. Smith, Pres. - Feb. 1, 1927 - b. 529 p. 587
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. deed changes in 1864 and 1912
Smith & Dove Tenements,Inc. Walter Amesbury, Pres, - Feb. 21, 1927 - b. 529 p. 587
Andover Homes, Inc. (name change) - Dec. 31, 1927 - b. 538 p. 354-356
Virgil D. Harrigton - June 7, 1932 - b. 564 p. 546 [p.548 parcel #5 lot 33 & 34]
Titus & Alice Corkum - July 19, 1932 - b. 565 p. 419
Walter H. & Hazel G. (Broughn) Baker - Aug. 19, 1938 - b. 617 p. 566
Walter H. Baker estate, Mary Alice Farnell, Admx. - Probate #96P1174-AD1 Oct. 1996
Phillip P. Hollenbrook - Oct. 31, 1996 - b. 4624 p. 154
Phillip P. & Angela Hollenbrook - Mar. 12, 1999 - b. 5911 p. 131
Michael B. Arthur - Nov. 3, 2000 - b. 5911 p. 131
5 Baker Lane Realty Trust, Glenn Ippolito - Aug. 7, 2007 - b. 10869 p. 2
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Construction Date||circa 1850|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Major Alterations||Addition to the north side of house.|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||54-56|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 5/2014|