Greek Revival, basement headroom 5'
Themes: Architectural, Community development
#5 Center St. today was formerly #5 Centre St. in earlier directories. Re-numbering and corrections were done in Andover in 1959 and the homes south of this house were renumbered. Centre St. on earlier maps and deeds was also referred to at times as Central St. in Ballardvale. This lot however was #13 on the Marland & Howe map of 1847.
The Ballardvale Machine Shop Corp., John Marland, President, purchased much of the property in the center of Ballardvale in 1847. The land was then sub-divided the into house and store lots and began selling off parcels in 1848. John Marland and John Howe Jr. owned the parcel along Centre St. (now Center St.) and began auctioning off their 35 lots on July 28. 1847. The auctioneers were Loring, Abbott and Porter of Boston.
The Ballardvale Machine shop would begin selling off their holdings in 1848 and Samuel Abbott and William Abbott followed suit with their property on Oak and Tewksbury Streets. The greater portion of the village center was developed at this period of time.
This lot, #13 on the Marland & Howe 1847 map, was sold to John Murphy on July 28, 1847 at auction.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover, Sarah Loring Bailey 1880
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman
Andover Historical Society files
Marland & Howe map Ballardvale Center - house and store lots July 1847
Ballardvale Machine Shop Corporation May 1848 - Franklin Darracott Engineer
Samuel Abbott & William Abbott house lots amp 1848
Andover maps; 1852, 1856, 1872, 1884, 1888, 1906
Andover Valuation Schedules, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1900, 1910, 1920
Map plan #7655 -
Map plan #38521-A - Land Court - July 30, 1974
John Marland & John Howe, Jr. - 1847
John Murphy - July 28, 1847 - at auction - lot #13
John Farrell, of Lawrence - Jan. 3, 1868 - b. 738 p. 43 - lot #12
Patrick Conway - Aug. 29, 1874 - b. 30 p. 151
Thomas A. Parsons - July 14, 1876 - b. 42 p. 4
Ann Conway - July 14, 1876 - b. 42 p. 6 - $1000.
Ann Conway estate, heirs; Margaret Conway & Mary Conway McQuade - 1944 - Probate 148149
Fred Oldroyd - June 6, 1944 - b. 666 p. 4
Charles A. & Sadie G. Partridge - Sept. 18, 1958 - b. 879 p. 474
Charles A. & Sadie G. Partridge - Aug. 23, 1974 - b. 1248 p. 315 - notice
Charles A. & Sadie G. Partridge - b. 1304 p. 82 - disposed
Charles A. & Sadie G. Partridge - July 30, 1974 - Certificate #7655
Sadie G. Partridge - Mar. 11, 1977 - Ctf. #8879
Robert Partridge and Sadie G. Partridge - Aug. 7, 1985 - Ctf. #9767
Robert Partridge and Sarah Partridge - Sept. 4, 1986 - Ctf. #10069
Robert & Madeline Partridge - Dec. 24, 1991 - Ctf. #11265
Donald P. & Suzanne Bonelli - Oct. 27, 2000 - Ctf. #13537
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||new shed|
|Major Alterations||shed (1975)|
|Acreage||0.203 acre; lot size: 8,838 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: 44'; approx. distance from street: 5'|
|Map and parcel||138-50|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; Ruth A. Sharpe, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/15/2016|