House built about 1885 - 1886 with 2 stories plus attic; open front porch, nice railing details, With 6 rooms, 1 1/2 baths, 3 bedrooms. Clapboard exterior; cedar shingles in gables, asphalt gable roof; brick and stone foundation, garage; front semi bay window. Original wood shutters with blind adjustments.
This property was once part of a triangular parcel lot boarding on Clark Rd. (once known as Lowell Rd), Chester St (road from Lowell Rd to Tewksbury Rd) and an old lane cart path or "county road" on the northwest side, most likely an original access road to farm land of Nathan Clark. The parcel was purchased by John W. Morrison from Nellie E. Morrison, who lived in the home at 8 Clark Rd. John W. acquired the parcel from Nellie on May 21, 1881. John sub-divided it into house lots in 1885 and created the new road Chester St. to the south side of the parcel. Morrison sold lots #4 & #5, on the plan map #1054 to Thomas Gee, wife Priscilla on June 20, 1885. Thomas Gee paid $98.61 for the two parcels.
The home was built for Thomas & Priscilla Gee. Thomas Gee was born Aug. 5, 1821 in Kingbridge, Devon, England, son of Phineas & Mary W. (Wyatt) Gee. Thomas's first wife was a Mary A. b. 1828 in England d. 1868 in Charlestown, MA They had two daughters: Isabella and Mary born about 1857. On Dec. 24, 1885 Thomas re-married at age 64 to Priscilla Jane Russell b. 1827 in Reading, MA daughter of Thomas & Abigail (Bell) Russell. This was Priscilla's first marriage at age 61. They were married at the Methodist Episcopal Church in Ballardvale. Thomas became a naturalized citizen on Sept. 2, 1891. The 1891 Andover Directory lists Thomas, a gardener at Chester St. He is not listed in the 1888 directory.
It is interesting to note that in the 1860 Census of Andover, Priscilla J. Russell age 36, is living with Sarah N. Marland and her family. ( see 2 Chestnut St. "Rose Cottage" for Marland family) Charles H. Marland, her son, was just 17. He would be the Gee's neighbor at 3 Chester Street and later purchase this home. Thomas Gee began as an Operative, and later in life was a Gardener and Teamster. Thomas died "seized" on Nov. 8, 1897 at age 75 of an acute intestinal obstruction. The Gee estate, was probated on Nov. 20, 1899 and his widow declared heir by the Probate Court. Sadly Priscilla died a few weeks later on Dec. 10, 1899 at age 72. Priscilla's estate was probated and went to heir Elizabeth K. Morse, a widow, living in Methuen, MA. Morse then sold the home to Charles Hitchcock Marland on Feb. 26, 1900. Charles & Laura E. Marland owned and lived in the home next door.
Marland then sold it to his son Charles Northey Marland on May 30, 1903. His father Charles died a few months later on Aug. 24, 1903. C. Northey Marland was a Clerk for the B&M Railroad in 1904 and in 1923 is listed as assistant treasurer of the B&M. C. Northey was married to Anna L. and had three daughters Edna L., Laura N. and Charlotte A. The Marland family owned for 39 years. With the death of Charles Northey on Sept. 4, 1933 his heirs, widow Anna L., daughters Edna L., Laura N. and Charlotte A. Marland moved to 29 Bartlet St., and rented the home to Roland H. & Lourene V. Perry. The Marlands later sold the property to Donald D. & Ruth L. Dunn on July 27, 1939.
Donald Dunn was hired as one of the first male Physical Education Teachers for the Andover Public Schools in 1936. Dunn was a graduate of Springfield College. He would later become the Athletic Director for the town, served as the Director of Pomps Pond summer programs. The gymnasium at Andover High School was named in his honor in 1968. Donald & Ruth owned this home for just four years. The property was then sold to Lusia Berberian, wife of Daniel Berberian on Nov. 13, 1943.
The Berberian family held the property for 67 years. Lusia deeded the home to her children Jack and Julia Berberian in Dec. 1978. Julia lived in the home with her mother and Jack lived at 259 Lowell St. with his family.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Assessor's Office, town of Andover
Andover Town Directory
B. V. Map 1888
Map plan #856 - Oct. 1931
Map plan #1054 - Charles Marland Estate - July 1937 lots A B C D E F
Map plan #15957 - June 26, 2008 - Berberian
Nellie E. Morrison - 1881
John W. Morrison - May 21, 1881 - b. 64 p. 54
Thomas Gee, wife Priscilla - June 9, 1885 - b. 81 p. 577
Thomas Gee estate, heir Priscilla - Nov. 20, 1899 - Probate court
Priscilla Gee estate, heir Elizabeth K. Morse - Dec. 1899 - Probate court will
Charles Hitchcock Marland - Feb. 26, 1900 - b. 175 p. 291
Charles Northey Marland - May 30, 1903 - b. 213 p. 322
Charles N. Marland estate, heirs, Anna L., Edna L., Laura N. & Charlotte A. Marland
Donald D. & Ruth L. Dunn - July 27, 1939 - b. 624 p. 543
Lusia Berberian, wife of Daniel - Nov. 13, 1943 - b. 661 p. 54
Lusia & Daniel Berberian - Dec. 15, 1964 - b. 1024 p. 442
Daniel Berberian estate, Lusia Berberian heir
Julia Berberian and Jack Berberian - Dec. 29, 1978 - b. 1361 p. 64
Daniel L. & Elizabeth Berberian - June 24, 2008 - b. 11229 p. 3
Daniel L. & Elizabeth Berberian - b. 11235 p. 249 - confirm deed
Samuel P. McLellan & Susan Kavanagh - Dec. 24, 2010 - b. 12346 p. 318
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||Thomas Gee - C. Northey Marland House|
|Construction Date||1885 - 1890|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage (1985)|
|Map and parcel||137-44|
|Recorded by||Ruth A. Sharpe (Ballardvale Historic District), James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Feb 1997, 5/31/2016|