Style: old style - cottage or bungalow
A one family, 1 3/4 height home with 1 bath, 5 rooms, 1 fireplace, 3 bedrooms, built in the old style with an open front porch. Gable house with brick and stone foundation. Believed to have been built in 1807. A small garage is on the property. House is built very close to the street. A wood deck added in back.
Paschal Abbott, manufacturer in Abbott Village owned the property in 1836 when he sold the house and 9 1/2 acres for $250 to John Mann, wife Zoa on Jun. 30, 1834, recorded in Salem on Jun. 7, 1836. The lot included the site of the current Ballardvale Fire Station and northward to include the property at 11 Clark Rd. and over to Andover Street. Mann owned for two years then sold to Samuel Barr, wife Eliza on Jan. 17, 1838, rec. Apr. 5, 1841.
Barr paid $250 for the house and about 1 acre of land. With his death, his wife Eliza and their children inherited the property. Three daughters: Susan Brown wife of Benjamin, Mary E. Smith wife of Charles T. and Helen A. Smith wife of Daniel and one son George V. Barr. The Family sells the property to Stephen Blaney of Peabody, MA on Dec. 12, 1877. Blaney paid $700 for the house and lot. In 1880 Steven Blaney owned the Ballardvale Boarding House on Andover Street,
Stephen Blaney died in 1901 and his executors, Frank Morrill and Nathaniel Symonds settled the estate and sell the home to John A. Haggerty on August 1, 1902. The Haggerty family would have a long stewardship with the home of 70 years. Two generations of the Haggerty family lived there and were in charge of the Ballardvale Fire Department.
John Ambrose Haggerty was born on April 10, 1868 in Andover, son of Timothy & Catherine (Donovan) Haggerty. John was a laborer when he married on April 3, 1888 to Mary Teresa Daley, b. Feb. 23, 1869 in Andover, dau. of Thomas & Bridget (Hancock) Daley. John became a member of the Andover Fire Department in 1888 and they first lived on Central St. John & Mary had four children; Timothy Stephen b. Dec. 26, 1888, Mary Agnes "Molly" b. Sept. 1, 1891, (wife of Hugh Hamilton), Adeline Josephine b. Ag. 16, 1895 - d. April 20, 1897 and George Edward b. Aug. 24, 1907. The Haggertys also built and owned 161 Andover St. where they lived for 22 years which abutted this property. John and Mary Haggerty then moved back into the Clark Road. Mary died in 1925 and John A. died "on Thursday evening August 2, 1928 while performing his duties as driver of the combination truck." John was a member of the fire department for 40 years. Mass was held at St. Joseph's Church. "As the funeral wended its way from the home to the church the fire bells on the engine house tolled forth times, the number of years as a member of the fire department. Interment was in St. Augustine;s Cemetery.
TImothy S. and his wife Katherine purchased the home from his mother Mary on April 27, 1942. Timothy died on Nov. 8, 1950 and Katherine continued to live here until her death in 1972. Frank K. Haggerty was the administrator of her estate and sold to Michael & Margaret I. McAuliffe on Nov. 21, 1972. McAuliffe owned for two and one half years then selling to Charles R. & Patricia A. Hayes on Mar. 17, 1975.
1993 Terrance Schwing
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Assessor's Office, Andover, MA
Map of Andover, 1830, 1852, 1872, 1884, 1888, 1906
Paschal Abbott - 1836
John Mann, wife Zoa - Jun. 30, 1834, rec. Jun. 7, 1836 - b. 289 leaf 211
Samuel Barr, wife Eliza - Jan. 17, 1838, rec. Apr. 5, 1841 - b. 323 leaf 251
Samuel Barr estate, heirs: Wid. Eliza, Susan Brown, Geo. Barr, Mary E. Smith, Helen A. Smith - 1877
Stephen Blaney - Dec. 12, 1877 - b. 50 p. 209
Stephen Blaney estate, Frank C. Merrill, Natl. Symonds Extrs. -Mar. 4, 1901 - probate
John A. Haggerty - Aug. 1, 1902 - b. 206 p. 161
John A. Haggerty estate; heirs Wid. Mary P., Mary A. Hamilton, Timothy S. & George E. Haggerty - 1929
Mary P. Haggerty - Aug. 24, 1929 - b. 548 p. 245
Timothy S. & Katherine K. Haggerty - Apr. 27, 1942 - b. 650 p. 521
Timothy S. Haggerty estate, heir Wid. Katherine L. - Nov. 8, 1950
Katherine K. Haggerty estate, Franklin K. Haggerty Admin. - Nov. 8, 1972 - Probate #314503
Michael & Margaret I. McAuliffe - Nov. 21, 1972 - b. 1207 p. 11
Charles R. & Patricia A. Hayes - Mar. 17, 1975 - b. 1256 p. 744
Andover Savings Bank - - Mar. 17, 1975 - b. 1256 p. 745 - mtg.
Andover Bank - Mar. 30, 1993 - b. 3703 p. 55 - mtg.
Chemical Bank Trustee - Aug. 24, 1993 - mtg.
Terrance P. & Pamela A. Schwing - Sept. 2, 1993 - b. 3824 p. 155
Amy Jessep - Feb. 21, 2012 - b. 12824 p. 153
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||Samuel & Eliza Barr Hiuse|
|Construction Date||ca. 1807|
|Foundation||brick - stone|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Map and parcel||137-17|
|Recorded by||Ruth Sharpe (Ballardvale Historic District), James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||17 Aug 1996, 3/5/2016|