vernacular cottage style.
This property was once owned by the Ballard Vale Machine Shop in 1847 and purchased by the Whipple File & Steel Manufacturing Co. in 1858, which went bankrupt in 1869. Assignees of the company; Edward Page, John W. Beals, Thomas J. Homer of Boston and Thornton K. Lothrup of Milton, MA sold off the holdings at auction. Craighead & Kintz would purchase the manufacturing plant and Stephen Blaney of Peabody, MA purchased six parcels of land along Andover St. and one on River St. on April 20, 1870. This lot was one of Blaney's six parcels.
Blaney's land on the east side of Andover Street extended from the B & M Depot lot 174-176 Andover St. to about 140 Andover St. and included the present day Ballardvale Playground. Clinton Court was actually laid out by Blaney to access the two homes and divide the properties into separate parcels. Stephen Blaney sold this parcel to John H. Clinton, wife Margaret J. on Dec. 25, 1883 for $550. The deed states ..."a lot of land upon which a cottage house, situated in the village of Ballardvale......" Clinton owned for 18 years then selling to Annie T. Stevenson of Peabody on July 5, 1901 for $600. Annie's sons V. Clinton, Arthur F. and Joseph Stevenson inherit the property which includes two parcels and two buildings. #5 and #3 Clinton Ct.
The properties was purchased by Margaret E. Dane, wife of George Dane on Sept. 21, 1926.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
1891 Andover Street Directory
Town of Andover Assessment summary
National Register of Historic Places
Ballard Vale Machine Shop - 1847
Whipple File & Steel Manufacturing Co. - 1858 - 60
Edward Page, John W. Beals, Thomas J. Homer, Thornton K. Lothrup, assignees - 1870
Stephen Blaney - Apr. 27, 1870 - b. 6 p. 236 - six parcels
John H. Clinton, wife Margaret J. - Dec. 25, 1883 - b. 74 p. 426
Annie T. Stevenson, wife of Virley - July 5, 1901 - b. 186 p. 475
Annie T. Stevenson estate, V. Clinton Stevenson, Arthur F. Stevenson, Joseph Stevenson -
Margaret E. Dane, wife of George A. - Sept. 21, 1926 - b. 526 p. 163
Henry F. & June L. Martin - Mar. 27, 1945 - b. 671 p. 137
Henry E. Martin - Mar. 8, 1947 - b. 697 p. 116
Henry E. & Eileen C. Smith - Aug. 5, 1949 - b. 726 p. 301
David M. & Edith T. Thomson - Oct. 20, 1952 - b. 768 p. 394
Glen J. & Virginia C. Steeves - May 4, 1968 - b. 1105 p. 271
Glen J. Steeves estate, heir Virginia C. Steeves - Mar. 23, 1968 - probate
Gerald J. Steeves - Apr. 3, 2001 - b. 6075 p. 263
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Construction Date||ca 1872|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||138-5|
|Recorded by||Ruth A. Sharpe (BallardvaleHistoric District) James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Jan 1996, 11/15/2016|