Second Empire or French Empire Style
Mansard roof, ionic columned porch and bay window on front facade
Mar. 8, 1889 – p4. Town Meeting Article #32 – Renamed Green St. and Pike St. to Morton St. after Prof. Morton on corner of School St.
This property was once owned by George W. R. & Inez R. Hill. George W. R. Hill, father and guardian of George R. Hill & Roger B. Hill, minors seem to have inherited a share of the property. It was sold to Caroline A. Phelps on Dec. 7, 1907 for $3000. Upon Phelps death her estate was sold through Chester W. Holland Executor.
The Trustees of Abbot Academy purchased the property on July 23, 1926and used it for faculty housing in dormitory space. When the two Academies merged in 1972 all the Abbot Academy holdings were transferred to the Trustees of Phillips Academy on July 2, 1973.
The Academy continues as the owner of record in 2015.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence,
George W. R. & Inez R. Hill
George W. R. Hill, guardian of George R. Hill & Roger B. Hill, minors.
Caroline A. Phelps - Dec. 7, 1907 - b. 241 p. 185
Caroline A. Phelps estate, Chester W. Holland Extr. - 1926
Trustees of Abbot Academy - July 23, 1926 - b. 524 p. 123
Trustees of Phillips Academy - July 2, 1973 - b. 1222 p. 85
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Architectural Style||Second Empire|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||40-20|
|Recorded by||Barbara Tlibault, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||04/01/2006, 4/10/2015|