The Shawsheen Village Rail Road Depot - Built 1921 - Architect D. L. Hardy
The train station, although not yet completed, was first used on Saturday September 10, 1921 with the arrival of William M. Wood and George Wallace from a trip to Europe.
The Shawsheen Village railroad depot was built in 1921 at the request of William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood’s master plan for the construction of Shawsheen Village from 1918-1924 and the building of his new Shawsheen Mill on this site would require a train stop at the village for workers traveling from points north and south.
July 29, 1921 Andover Townsman AT - p.8
Construction on Power Plant, Warehouse and Railroad Station Proceeding Rapidly Towards Completion - ......Almost beside this great building (Mill 1) and at the point where the Boston & Maine reilroad crosses Haverhill street, a new railroad station is fast approaching completion. It will be a regular passenger station for the use of the people of Shawsheen village. The outside of the station will be of ordinary pavement brick. The interior will be laid in white tile and buff colored brick. In front of the station will be two platforms, 375 feet long.
Since brick stairways will lead under the tracks, threr will be no need of crossing the railroad. Thus a possible source of danger is eliminated.
The goods produced in the village factories will be shipped from the new depot. For this purpose there will be a side track 1000 feet long that can accommodate twenty cars.
Aug. 11, 1921 AT
It is hopped that by this time next week trains will be stopping at Shawsheen station. This will accommodate the sixty or more workmen who commute to the village as well as the villagers whose work takes them to Boston.
Sept. 2, 1921 AT
Construction Progress – chimney done, mill is taking on the appearance of a finished building. Ditch for power and heat, one side of the station platform has been finished, including a waiting shelter, but the platform along the station side is still under construction. The station itself could be made ready for occupancy in a short time, but although the main part of the building is practically finished, considerable work remains to be done on the interior finishing’s. It is thought by many that a stopping time for the two trains each way a day which have been promised to the village, will be formed on the next Boston and Maine schedule which is due to appear after Labor Day.
Sept. 9, 1921 - AT - SV- Welcome Home – Afternoon of Sports Planned as Part of Celebration Welcoming Return of Wm. Wood to Shawsheen. Bowling green, Tennis, soccer, Diner at the Manor.
Sept. 16, 1921 AT– SV p8 – Photo of Mr. Wood – Welcome Home – 1st Train to stop at the Village Station last Saturday –
As Mr. Wood stepped from the train amid welcoming cheers of the old and young of the Village, he was greeted by a committee of prominent men who led him across the tracks to his waiting limousine, while the American Woolen Company Brass Band struck up an appropriate air. Fully thirty cars dropped into a parade behind the band and Mr. Wood’s car and proceeded to the bowling green where Mr. Wood was scheduled to bowl the first ball of the match between the Boston Bowling Club and Shawsheen Village….(won the bowling 55-53, lost soccer 2-1.) In the evening from 7:30 to 11:00 the new cement dance floor received its initial use, (Balmoral Gardens) the American Woolen Company band furnishing the music for the dancers.
December 16, 1921 p. 8 - AT The New Railroad Station – The interior of the new Railroad Station at Shawsheen has been completed and is a very desirable addition to the Village. It has a large waiting room with comfortable benches and is well lighted by windows on both sides. There is a large electric light in the center of the ceiling and several smaller ones on the walls. The interior walls are of buff claycraft and the floor is made of red quarry tile. On the north side is a large open fireplace and at the south end is the station agent’s office. The exterior is not yet entirely completed.
The Shawsheen Village train stop was ended in 1958 and the station was closed.
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Shawheen Village Depot|
|Original Use||Passanger Railroad Depot|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Map and parcel||35-27|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Nov. 5, 2013, 8/2/2015|