Palladian window over front entrance, 3 chimneys, bracketed eaves, swag window trim
Original owner Dr. Walter Kimball.
Themes - Architectural and Community Development.
Nathan B. Abbott sold 13/14ths of this two and a half acre lot to John Flint on July 7, 1844 for $575. The deed refers to the parcel as the"Horse Shed Lot" which extended down School St. to Central St. and was bounded on the south by the Andover-Wilmington Railroad (Boston & Maine). Flint later sells the property to Walter H. Kimball on April 24, 1854 for $1500. Walter H. Kimball was born in 1821 in West Boxford, MA, son of Amos & Lucy (Foster) Kimball. Walter was a physician. He married on Aug. 11, 1846 to Mary Elizabeth Gage b. April 1, 1823 in the North Parish, Andover, dau. of John & Betsy (Tyler) Gage. Walter and Mary had one son John Tyler Kimball b. June 3, 1854.
The 1860 Andover Valuation lists Walter Kimball - Center District: House, barn and 2 1/2 acres of land $3050. Horse $100. Kimball deeded the property to his farther-in-law John Gage on Jan. 11, 1856 for $4000 which may have been a loan. John Gage later deeds the property back to his daughter Mary E. Kimball on June 23, 1865 with out interference from her husband or creditors. Walter H. died on Sept. 30, 1881 of paralyses age 61y 3m 10d. The deed held by Mary E. Kimball went to Lucy Jane Blunt on Aug. 25, 1897. Lucy died on April 25, 1909.
John Tyler Kimball, known as Tyler, married July 10, 1889 to Caroline "Carrie" Perkins Blunt b. Jan. 1850 in NYC, dau. of Samuel W. & Lucy J. (Burdick) Blunt. John became a Bank Clerk. They had two children; Charles Carleton b. Mar. 1891 and Helen Seeley. b. Oct. 1892 - d. June 2, 1904.
The 1900 census has John and Carrie living with her mother (Lucy Blunt) in her home at 147 So. Main St. (America House) where she boarded ten students at Phillips Academy. John Kimball is listed at 50 School St. in 1910 and died on Nov. 20, 1912 of septic appendicitis. Kimballs are interred in Christ Church Cemetery.
Charles Carleton Kimball, inherits the property from his mother Caroline who died Nov. 30, 1927. Charles worked for the Merchants National Bank in Boston. He married a Elizabeth W. b. 1894, and they had three children: Richard W. b. 1929 MA, Margaret G. b. 1930 in PA. and John W. b. 1931 in ME. The property remained with the Kimball family for 107 years then was sold to Franklin P. & Marilyn G. Swain, Jr. on Oct. 24, 1961.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Map #5349 - Sept. 20, 1965 - sub-divide lot
Nathan B. Abbott, wife Elizabeth - 1844
John Flint - July 7, 1844 - b. 400 leaf 255-6 - $575
Walter H. Kimball, wife Mary E. - Apr. 24, 1854 - b. 493 leaf 262 - $1500
John Gage - Jan. 11, 1856 - b. 525 leaf 158 - $4000
Mary E. Kimball, wife of Walter - June 23, 1865 - b. 685 leaf 187
Lucy Jane Blunt, wid. of Samuel W - Aug. 25, 1897 - b. 157 p. 1
Lucy Hayward Shaw, wife of David - July 15, 1901 - b. 187 p. 409
Lucy Jane Blunt - Oct. 27, 1903 - b. 207 p. 109
Lucy Jane Blunt estate - d. April 25, 1909 -
Caroline P. B. Kimball heir - Probate #105,681
Caroline P. B. Kimball estate - d. Nov. 30, 1927
Charles Carleton Kimball heir - 1927 - Probate #159,946
Charles Carleton & Elizabeth Ward Kimball, Caroline Edmonds - June 4, 1930 - b. 552 p. 260
Charles Carleton & Elizabeth Ward Kimball - June 4, 1930 - b. 552 p. 261
Franklin P. & Marilyn G. Swain, Jr. - Oct. 24, 1961 - b. 946 p. 362
Marilyn G. Swain - Feb. 11, 1965 - b. 1028 p. 296
Robert E. & Dorothy J. King - Sept. 7, 1971 - b. 1178 p. 666
Andover Savings Bank - Sept. 7, 1971 - b. 1178 p. 667 - mtg deed
Joseph D. & Agnes M. McDonald - Jan. 27, 1976 - b. 1276 p. 419
Dennis R. & Pamela A. St. John - Nov. 29, 1977 - b. 1326 p. 229
Risborough, Ltd. of Hong Kong - Aug. 5, 1982 - b. 1595 p. 252
Myles & Linda E. Borland - Dec. 19, 1984 - b. 1907 p. 33
Stephen E. & Caroline R. (Kiehl) Tortolani - May 31, 1991 - b. 3264 p. 211
James M. & Mary Kelvie Lyman - Mar. 17, 1999 - b. 4004 p. 272
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Kimball, Dr. Walter House|
|Present Use||residence, apt. in ell|
|Construction Date||1854 - 1855|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Georgian Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||ell, garage|
|Major Alterations||former front and side wrap around porch on west side of home removed in 1960's, interior renovated 1977|
|Map and parcel||55-133|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 12/22/15|