Three buildings of nearly identical original design; very minor variations in brackets, porch balustrades, relationship of bay windows to doorways. Characterized by uniform setback (10ft.), spacing (approx. 20 ft), form (duplex), detailing (pediment gables, bracketed eaves, columned and balustraded front porch, bay windows) No. 51-53 is best preserved, shows original decorative shingling, play of textures, shapes and forms. 55-57 has been divided with one half aluminum siding and the other wood clapboard; 59-61 has wood shingles. A striking group of nicely designed two family homes.
Themes: Architectural and Community Development
The triangular parcel of land contained within Elm, Whittier and Summer Streets was once part of Capt. Nathaniel Whittier's estate. His homestead is at 10 Summer Street. Whittier's estate was sold by his heirs, Hannah E. Whittier and Mary W. Dickinson on April 13, 1900 to John H. Campion, and Andover merchant with a store on Elm Square. John Campion was also a business partner with Jacob W. Barnard and Barnett Rogers with land development.
The parcel contained 2 acres 151 sq. rods of land and the Whittier homestead. Champion, Barnard and Rogers divided the vacant land into 18 house lots and began selling them off. This parcel Lot # 1 and lot #18 was sold to James Frank Hale of Woburn on Mar. 22, 1901. James F. Hale, a Broker, developed the property.
James Frank Hale was born on Sept. 10, 1880 in Groveland, MA son of Samuel C. & Susan A. (O'Donnell) Hale. transferred the properties through William W. Kinnard of Somerville and William J. Drew of Boston on Apr. 1, 1911. The Property was then transferred to Hale's four year old son James Frank Hale Jr. and Hales mother Susan A. (Hale) Wood on Sept. 12, 1912. Susan A. Wood would hold a life tenancy in the unit at #55 Elm St. where the Hales resided. #51 - #53 Elm St. was rental property.
On May 14, 1920 this property was sold to George L. Smith, wife Vellie. James F. Hale's wife, Tessie A. Hale, was the guardian for their son James Jr. now age 14. Tessie and Susan A. Wood then quit claimed interest in the property to George Smith. Smith owned for eleven years then selling to Annie T. Quill, wife of Jerry Quill.
The 1920 Census lists Guy W. Gilbert, Dentist, wife Florence B., and daughters Louise A, 18, Murial 12 and Elsie 11 as renting #51. Guy was the son of Andover dentist Charles H. & wife Emma Gilbert. Guy's brother was Perley F. Gilbert, Andover architect. Guy's practice was in Lawrence. In #53 was Miss Duval an Andover public school teacher.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Hannah E. Whittier & Mary W. Dickerson - 1900
John H. Campion - April 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 580
Jacob W. Barnard, John H. Campion, Barnett Rogers - April 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 581
James Frank Hale of Woburn - Mar. 22, 1901 - b. 184 p. 372
William W. Kinnard & William J. Drew - Apr. 1, 1911 - b. 302 p. 108
James Frank Hale Jr. & Susan A. Wood - Sept. 12, 1912 - b. 321 p. 138
Tessie A. Hale, guardian & Susan A. Wood - b. 422 p. 479 - 480 quit claim
George L. Smith, wife Vellie - May 14, 1920 - b. 422 p. 478
Annie T. Quill, wife of Jerry - Jan. 27, 1931 - b. 557 p. 1
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||38-241|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||2/27/80, 2/11/2016|