Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Enmore Street takes its name from Enmore Castle, an historic building in the village of Enmore, Somerset, England.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were Albert G. & Alice Flint and son James W. Flint. Albert and James were clerks with the American Woolen Co.
This house was sold to Michael J. & Margaret G. Small on Jan. 2, 1945. Michael b. 1903 was a mechanic and Margaret b. 1903 a homemaker. The Small family included William L. and Particia N. and they would own for 49 years. With the death of Margaret Small, Michael placed the property deed into their children names on July 8, 1993. Michael died the following year on June 6, 1994.
William L. Small and Patricia N. Newell then sold the property to Daniel N. & Joanne Guillet on Aug. 3, 1994.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
George C. H. Dufton, wife Susanna - 1921 - 18 acres-
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. – October 29, 1921 – b. 470 p. 341 – 18 acres
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 7th parcel
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co - Oct. 30, 1937 - b. 611 p. 177 - 11th parcel
Michael J. & Margaret G. Small - Jan. 2, 1945 - b. 670 p. 467
Margaret G. Small estate, Michael J. Small heir
Michael J. Small, William L. Small, Patricia N. Newell - July 8, 1993 - b. 3778 p. 109
Michael J. Small estate, William L. Small, Patricia N. Newell, heirs - June 6, 1994
Daniel N. & Joanne Guillet - Aug. 3, 1994 - b. 4118 p. 73
George S. & Anne M. Graw - May 5, 2000 - b. 5742 p. 241
Kathleen A. Duschene - July 31, 2009 - b. 11716 p. 153
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Map and parcel||19-35|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/10/2015|