Mill tenement housing for workers
Third story added about 1900
The land along Stevens Street was once large pasture and meadow and extended to Abraham Marland’s homestead estate at 29-33 Shawsheen Rd. Marland established a cotton mill in 1807 on the Shawsheen River at Abbott Village which continued until 1811 when he began production of woolen goods. In 1821 “Marland leased from Peter C. Brooks of Boston a mill privilege on the Shawsheen, together with new buildings erected on the site of what had been a powder mill. This is now known as Marland Village.
The buildings, which were leased for a term of twenty years, comprised a brick mill, the oldest of the present buildings, and a row of brick tenement houses.” In 1828 Marland bought the entire property, his purchase including the mill privilege, old paper and grist mills, and thirty acres of land. In 1834 the business was organized under the name Marland Manufacturing Company. Abraham Marland was the president until his death on Feb. 20, 1849. The 1850 Valuation schedule for the Marland Manufacturing Co. includes the Brick Block, House near the brick block, Taylor house, 5 dwelling houses on the Turnpike and 3 other buildings excluding the Mill buildings themselves. This house may be the Taylor House or the one near the brick block. The 1872 map shows W. Gleason on this site.
Nathaniel Frye succeeded Marland as the company president from 1849-1879. He was born in Andover and began working at the mill as a boy of 14. Nathaniel worked his way to the top. He built a fine mansion on North Main St. and Railroad Streets.
The company defaulted on an 1873 loan from the Andover Savings Bank and the mill was sold at auction to Moses T. Stevens of North Andover in 1879. Stevens began improvements at the mill and in 1884 relocated the road, building a causeway across the mill pond, a new bridge, and operative housing on North Main Street and Stevens Street.
August 8, 1884 AA pg. 2 col 7- Article on Marland Village, new tenements and new road and bridge.
In 1896 the Marland Mill operation employed 200 operatives and manufactured 875,000 lbs. of wool yearly. In 1902 the company was now M. T. Stevens & Sons, Co. and later became known as J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. When the purchased the Marland Manufacturing Company, the property included the tenement housing on Marland Street, later renamed Stevens Street in 1904. In 1953 the Stevens Co. divested itself of all its housing stock in Marland Village which was then subdivided into separate parcels and sold to public residents. Approval of the subdivision plan #2620 was by the Andover Board of Appeals in Nov. 1952. This property is listed as Lot #3.
The 1943 street directory lists Edwin A. & Ruby D. Rose at #52. He is a fireman at the Marland Mill. Next door at #54 is Edmund & Jessie K. Dunwoody. Edmund is a warehouseman at Dundee Mill. [On a personal note, from 1906-1908 #52 was the first home in Andover for my grandparents, Andrew & Elizabeth (Bisset) Ferrier after their marriage. - Jim Batchelder]
Henry Louis Latulippe of Methuen, MA purchased the property from J. P. Stevens on May 15, 1953. He owned the house for six years then sold to Lewis & Alice F. Meuse on May 20, 1959. Meuse held for two years then selling to Andover realtor Frederick W. Bradley and wife Mary Eliz. Bradley in Nov. 1961. The property was later placed into the
Rittenhouse Realty Trust, with Fred & Mary Bradley as Trustees on Oct. 1, 1965. They owned the income property for 15 years.
Linda L. & Eric H. Neunzer purchased the property on Jan. 29, 1976. Eric N. Neunzer held the deed in Aug. 31, 1985 and later sold to Ronald & Denise Estell on Jan. 1, 1988. They placed the property into the Estell Realty Trust II on Oct. 8, 2010 and continue as trustees in 2014.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser AA
Historical Sketches of Andover, S. Bailey 1880
Business History of Andover, 1896 Anniversary Souvenir.
Andover Historical Society files.
Andover Valuation and directories
Peter C. Brooks
Abraham Marland – 1828 - Feb. 20, 1849
Nathan Frye – Feb. 1849 - July 19, 1879
Moses T. Stevens Co. July 19, 1879 – b. 56 p. 482
M. T. Stevens & Sons Co. – Sept. 1, 1902 – b. 197 p. 180
J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. – after 1946
Henry Louis Latulippe - May 15, 1953 - b. 776 p. 218
Lewis & Alice F. Meuse - May 20, 1959 - 890 p. 236
Frederick W. & Mary Eliz. Bradley - Nov. 10, 1961 - b. 948 p. 53
Rittenhouse Realty Trust, Fred & Mary Bradley,Trustees - Oct. 1, 1965 - 1045 p. 335
Linda L. & Eric H. Neunzer - Jan. 29, 1976 - b.1275 p. 624
Eric N. Neunzer - Aug. 31, 1985 - b.2111 p. 215
Ronald & Denise Estell - Jan. 1, 1988 - b. 2679 p. 186
Estell Realty Trust II - Oct. 8, 2010 - b.12225 p. 194
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Original Use||residence - mill housing|
|Construction Date||c. 1880s|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Major Alterations||Third story added after 1900. Vinyl siding and window replacement|
|Map and parcel||54-18|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 7/2014|