Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Enmore Street takes its name from Enmore Castle, an historic building in the village of Enmore, Somerset, England.
This home was not built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company.
but the lot was owned by the American Woolen Co.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The house, although not historic, is built in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1977 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
This house lot, containing two parcels was sold to Antonio & Palma Abate on Nov. 17, 1960. Abate built the home on the site in 1961. John S. & Daphine Marshall, Jr. Then purchased the property on Oct. 19, 1961, land with buildings. John b. 1922 was en engineer and Daphine b. 1928 an inspector. They lived at 8 Fleming St. prior to moving here. Marshall sold to the Shawsheen-Worcester Realty Trust, Walter J. Riley , Edward H. Riley, trustees on May, 24, 1968.
A. Russell Edwards on June 24, 1968.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #X
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
#1412 Oct. 1942 - Lot X - 8850 sq.'
Lot Y - 8650 sq. '
George C. H. Dufton, wife Susanna - 1921 - 18 acres-
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. – October 29, 1921 – b. 470 p. 341 – 18 acres
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 6th parcel
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co - Oct. 30, 1937 - b. 611 p. 177 - parcel 2
Antonio & Palma Abate - Nov. 17, 1960 - b. 927 p. 13 - lot X
Antonio & Palma Abate - Nov. 17, 1960 - b. 927 p. 13 - lot Y
John S. & Daphine Marshall, Jr. - Oct. 19, 1961 - b. 946 p. 246 - land with buildings.
Shawsheen p Worcester Realty Trust, Walter J. Riley , Edward H. Riley - May, 24, 1968 - b. 1106 p. 343
A. Russell Edwards - June 24, 1968 - b. 1108 p. 351
A. Russell Edwards estate, Phyllis J. Edwards heir - died Feb. 10, 1971 - Boston
Phyllis J. Edwards estate, Brenda Endelos, Extr.- - Ref. b. 1108 p. 351
M. Barrow Properties, LLC - Apr. 26, 2007 - b. 10727 p. 151
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Map and parcel||19-32|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/17/2015|