This stucco home was a simplified Tudor style. Unique design for the Colonial Revival of Shawsheen Village.
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain.
York Street takes its name from York Minster Cathedral , seat of the Archbishop of York, second highest office in the Church of England. The Gothic Church is one of the largest in Northern Europe. There is also a York Castle, in York, England. A Norman castle built by William I
The north end of York St. was once part of the Walter Kaye property, and Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. The Kaye home was moved to 26 Haverhill St. for construction of York St. Some homes nearer the entrance of Brickstone were first built in error on the entrance way to Wood’s Shawsheen Mills. Wood, away on tour in Europe, upon his return, saw the homes and said, “removed those home immediately” and so they were relocated to York St. It appears that this home may be the only home on the north end of York St. not moved, but built here after the eight others were relocated. This may also be why the architectural style is different than the other homes.
Andover Townsman (AT) - May 12, 1922 - The houses on York street extension are all completed, sewers have been put in and at the present time the street and sidewalks are being finished.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased or sold through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
A walk down York Street will find a mix of the old and new as Wood moved a few older homes in Frye Village to sites on York St. and Balmoral St. Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises add to the “icing on the cake, of the maintained original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were Alexander R. & Jessie R. Tanch. Alexander is an overseer in the A. W. Co. In 1928 Stafford Lindsay rents the home.
This house was sold to Arthur E. & Mary D. Redfern on Sept. 13, 1934. Arthur was employed with the American Woolen Co. Arthur died five years later on May 31, 1939. His widow Mary D. continued to own the home for another 32 years. Mary rented the house as income property. In 1943 Marshall & Janet T. Clinton, Jr. rent the home. Marshall is a Lieutenant in 1943 US Army MD and a Major in 1945. In 1961 Mary D. Refern b. 1902 is back in her home and son Robert D. b. 1937 is in the US Navy.
The Redferns sell to William F. & Theresa H. Burbine on Jan. 27, 1971.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#880 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #30
Fannie S. Smith
Walter A. Kaye - July 7, 1907 - b. 250 p. 315
Henry P. Binney, Trustee of A. W. Co. - Mar. 25, 1916 - b. 362 p. 171
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. - Dec. 30, 1920
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 32th parcel
Arthur E. & Mary D. Redfern - Sept. 13, 1934 - b. 581 p. 123
Arthur E. Redfern estate, Mary D. Redfern heir - May 31, 1939
William F. & Theresa H. Burbine - Jan. 27, 1971 - b. 1165 p. 537
William F. Burbine estate,Theresa H. Burbine heir - Aug. 21, 1980
Robert E. & Gretchen Wescott - May. 18, 1981 - b. 1504 p. 217
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Arthur & Mary Redfern House|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Tudor Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||windows replaced with modern casement, wood siding between dormers of second floor, and first floor, enclosed porch on south side. slate roof now asphalt shingle, front entrance portico changed.|
|Map and parcel||35-24|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/22/2015|