53 Essex Street – Depot House – parcel 55-58 – 0.11841 acre b. 1805?
This building was built as a two family residence with space in the basement for a small business. One family apartment was on Pearson St., north side and the other unit on Essex St., south side, with access from the east end of the building.
Early deeds reference Depot House lot. The Boston & Maine Railroad tracks were moved to this current location in 1848 to service the new City of Lawrence. The freight office for the Depot was once located in the basement space.
The property was purchased Mathew Culley on Jan.6, 1844 from David Pingree of Salem, MA for $75. Culley built his home 48 Pearson St. across the street. Culley then sold the lot for $115to Nathan W. Hazen, Esq. on Nov. 30, 1844. Hazen held for six months then selling to Jeremiah Goldsmith on May 10, 1845 for $115. This sale included the larger lot #8 & part of lot #9, the triangular lot adjoining on the west side. The other portion of #9 had been sold to the B & M Railroad.
George L. Abbot, Housewright purchased the property on Dec. 16, 1850 for $500. George L Abbot built the cottage house at #34 Pearson St. He sells the all the property to William Abbot 2nd, a Trader, on Jan. 1, 1852 for $1100. William built this double house with the store in the basement and held it for eleven years. This also included the cottage house.
Andover Advertiser - May 21, 1853 - Daniel Devlan - New Tailor - In the new building recently erected by William Abbot near the Depot.
Nathan B. Abbot paid $3500 for the properties on April 15, 1863 and held for five years. He sold #34 Pearson St. to William Higgins in August 1863 which lot also included the lot at #49 Essex St.
Anthony Milner then paid $2500 for the "Depot Building" on Oct. 30, 1863 and held for five years. William Wood, wife Margaret bought on Nov. 30, 1867 for $2800. William Wood was a local carpenter and builder of houses in Andover. He held the property three years then selling to the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co., Inc. on Aug. 27, 1870.
Smith & Dove Mills were located in the now Dundee Park complex, producing linen thread for carpets, shoe laces and sail cloth. They were one of the largest employers in Andover and needed housing for their operatives. Smith & Dove owned the building for 57 years, renting out the apartments and the store below.
In 1927 the company was sold to the Ludlow Co. and all the real estate of Smith and Dove was placed into the real estate divestment agency Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. on Feb. 21, 1927. The name was changed to Andover Homes, Inc. Walter R. Amesbury, treas. on Dec. 31, 1927. Virgil D. Harrington, then treasurer, sold this parcel on June 7, 1932.
John O. & Mary Elizabeth Boudreau purchased the building on July 19, 1932. The Boudreau family owned for 22 years then selling to John F. Grigas & Stanley E. Grigas on Sept. 28, 1954 who owned for 23 years. Grigas was the owner of Rickey's Variety store. Much like the convenience stores of today, Rickey's had groceries, dry goods, tonic, soda and candy. They also stocked magazines and the daily papers for train commuters. Rickey's had a long lunch counter that ran along the west wall of the store. He advertised the best fried clams in town, but coffee, hamburgers and sandwiches were the main stay.
Harold Morley Jr., County Commissioner was appointed through Probate on Oct. 4, 1977 to sell the property. Ben H. Waters on July 6, 1977, held the mortgage. When Rickey's closed the basement store was gutted and redesigned. Windows replaced the blank wall on the west side bringing more light into what had been a very dark space. Depot House of Pizza opened about 1978 and continues as a popular eatery in 2015.
The upper floor apartments are now used as a Pet Supply Store with entrance on Pearson St. The attic space and apartment.
Andover 93 Trust, Ben H. Waters, trustee – Apr, 3, 1978
Philip J. Coppola & Stephen R. Duly – May 27, 1982
Sotiros Exarchos, Dimitros Kakoutsis & George Tsingos – Jan. 25, 1983
53 Essex St. Trust, Sotiros Exarchos, trustee – Jan. 22, 1988
Depot Pizza, #53 Essex Street – 1978 ? - present
Rickey’s Variety, #53 Essex – John Grigas prop. 1953-1977
American Railway Express Office, upstairs, - Patrick J. Driscoll 1926
Nellie Duggan Variety #48 – 1916 -1926+
Mary P. Mullaly – #49 grocer – 1928
Tom Fitzpatrick - #49 grocer – 1930-1936
Clara Fitzpatrick - #49 grocer 1937-
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Main Street Evolution 2014 - Gail Rawston
Andover Advertiser & Andover Townsman
David Pingree of Salem, MA - 1844
Mathew Culley - Jan.6, 1844 rec. Feb. 4 - b. 341 leaf 210 - $75
Nathan W. Hazen, Esq. - Nov. 30, 1844 - b. 349 leaf 100 - $115
Jeremiah Goldsmith - May 10, 1845 - b. 359 leaf 173 - $115 - lot 8 & part of 9
George L. Abbot, Housewright, - Dec. 16, 1850 - b. 438 leaf 46 - $500
William Abbot 2nd, Trader - Jan. 1, 1852 - b. 456 leaf 216
Nathan B. Abbot - April 15, 1863 - b. 652 leaf 254 - $3500
Anthony Milner, wife Caroline Oct. 30, 1863 - b. 658 leaf 222 -$2500
William Wood, wife Margaret – Nov. 30, 1867 – b. 735 leaf 80 - $2800
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co., Inc. – Aug. 27, 1870 – b. 5 p. 561
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. – Feb. 21, 1927 – b. 529 p. 583
Andover Homes, Inc. Walter R. Amesbury, treas. – Dec. 31, 1927 – b. 538 p. 356
Virgil D. Harrington – June 7, 1932 – b.564 p. 546 (p.548 parcel #7)
John O. & Mary Elizabeth Boudreau – July 19, 1932 – b. 565 p. 420
Mary Elizabeth Boudreau - Jan. 1949 – probate – John died Jan. 1, 1949
John F. Grigas & Stanley E. Grigas – Sept. 28, 1954 – b. 799 p. 447
Harold Morley Jr., Commissioner – Oct. 4, 1977 – Probate #337774
Ben H. Waters – July 6, 1977 – b. 1358 p. 14 mtg
Andover 93 Trust, Ben H. Waters, trustee – Apr, 3, 1978 – b. 1335 p. 68
Philip J. Coppola & Stephen R. Duly – May 27, 1982 – b. 1335 p. 206
Sotiros Exarchos, Dimitros Kakoutsis & George Tsingos – Jan. 25, 1983 – b. 1641 p. 143
53 Essex St. Trust, Sotiros Exarchos, trustee – Jan. 22, 1988 – b. 2665 p. 76
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Depot House|
|Present Use||Retail / Commercial|
|Original Use||two family residence & RR freight depot|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Wall/Trim||wood cedar shingle/vinyl clad|
|Roof||gable - asphalt|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl cladding, replacement windows, former open porch on south facade enclosed, first floor apartments now one retail space.|
|Map and parcel||55-58|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Jan. 2, 2015, 4/25/2017|