Georgian Revival - 1940
Original owner Thomas and Dorothy Emmons.
In 1941 Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Emmons hired an interior decorator from Lynn to recommend wall coverings and commissioned a Lynn artist - "Mr. Pearson" to prepare six murals on canvas at his studio to be hung in the Emmons' dining room. Themes are 1. Abbot Tavern (now 70 Elm St.) with George Washington in front being greeted by the townspeople. 2. a log cabin depicting the early beginnings. 3. Indian scene possibly Hannah Dunstan in a Haverhill episode. 4. battle at Lake Champlain. 5. Bunker Hill and 6. Ticonderoga.
Andover Townsman, February 10, 1983 is obituary of Thomas Emmons. Thomas Emmons of 32 West Bradstreet, North Andover, the former president and owner of Emmons Loom Harness Co. of Lawrence, a retired New England representative of Philadelphia Steel and Heddle Co. and a former Andover resident, died Feb. 4 at Lawrence General Hospital after a long illness. He was 79. He was a member and past deacon of South Congregational Church in Andover for more than 40 years, as well as president of the Andover Historical Society and past president of the Church Basketball League of Andover. (see article for full story).
The Emmons sold to Edward B. & Ann Stevens on Junly 8, 1963. The murals were covered during the Stevens ownership. The Stevens family owned for 25 years then sold to William T. & Ann Kent Ryan in Aug. 1988. The Ryan family uncovered the murals during remodeling, removed them carefully from the walls and gave them to the Andover Historical Society. The Memorial Hall Library received the Abbot Tavern (now 70 Elm St.) with George Washington in front being greeted by the townspeople. The remaining murals were given to the high school with the hope they would be displayed in some appropriate location. The Art department kept them in storage during the renovations of the high school, but they were never reinstalled. They were later returned to the Historical Society, and in 2014 given to the Pearson family, heirs of the original artist.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
interview with Mrs. Emmons, review building records and assessor's lists.
Research Andover Historical Society and South Church files.
Thomas Emmons was president of the Andover Historical Society 1972-73
Map plan #1246 0 Mar. 1940 - Jerome Cross - sub-divide
See 36 Central St. for earlier land history..
Esther H. Byers - Mar. 16, 1892 - b. 111 p. 424 - 5 acres - 36 Central St.
Esther H. Byers estate died March 21, 1904
Peter Smith, Extr - 1904 by Will
Ella V. Cann - May 31, 1905 - b. 221 p. 48
George W. & Ella V. Cann - April 23, 1914 - b. 340 p. 289
George W. Cann estate, Ella V. Cann heir - Probate
Jerome W. Cross - Oct. 12, 1916 - b. 369 p. 267
Thomas A. & Dorothy H. Emmons - May 24, 1940 - b. 631 p. 401 53 School St. - lot #2
Felicia Sholick - Jan. 7, 1949 - b. 740 p. 326 - deed trnsfer
Dorothy H. Emmons - Jan. 7, 1949 - b. 740 p. 327
Edward B. & Ann J. Stevens - July 8, 1963 - b. 989 p. 175
William T. & Linda Kent Ryan - Aug. 30, 1988 - b. 2797 p. 155
Linda Kent Ryan - May 26, 2005 - b. 9549 p. 272
John & Candace P. Simourian II - July 10, 2005 - b. 14297 p. 249
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Thomas & Dorothy Emmons House|
|Architectural Style||Georgian Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Arthur Steinert - contractor/builder|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||55-110|
|Recorded by||Barbara Thibault, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||10-5-88, 12/24/2015|