Once held large commanding site; still imposing with its long setback from street.
Present/original owner: Town of Andover - Now the south parking lot for Doherty Middle School and Bartlet St. entrance way to Playstead area.
Themes: architectural, community development, education, social/humanitarian
The Stowe School closed as an annex school in June 1972; Did not pass building requirement for public use. Subsequently, became Andover Public Schools Administration building and the Andover Recreation Dept. offices. 1972-1981
The first building on the site named the Center Grammar School was opened in 1888 and was nearly the same design of the Stowe building. The school served students of the middle school age from 5th - 8th grade. The school was destroyed by fire on Feb. 23, 1894. The Town quickly rebuilt the school and according to local papers building was completed Jan.1, 1895.
"New school year in New Building" (Andover Townsman article notes: Clara Putnam transferred from Stowe to become Principal of Bradlee School, Ballardvale). By 1916, she was back at Stowe, as their Principal.
The school was officially named for writer Harriet Beecher Stowe on Jan.1, 1894, who lived in Andover 1853-1865 and died in 1893. Harriet B. Stowe lived in the stone house at #80 Bartlet. Her former home was moved to this location from Chapel Ave. about 1927 to make way for the construction of the Andover Inn. Stowe is interred in the Chapel Cemetery at Phillips Academy with her husband Rev. Calvin Stowe and a son. Bradlee School in Ballardvale was also named on that date.
In 1980 plans began for the remodeling of the former "Central" or Doherty Elementary School into a new Junior High School. The educational campus included the East Jr. High, Jackson School, Stowe School, the heating plant and the closed elementary school buildings. East Jr. High was slated for rehabilitation to the Andover Town and School Department Offices. A new access road and parking lots were needed. Jackson School, Stowe School and the heating plant were demolished in 1982. The wrecking crew arrived to begin demolition of Stowe School. The building burned to the ground the night before the building was to be razed.
Andover Historical Society files
School Reports: Town of Andover
Andover Townsman: March 7, 1946
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Andover Grammar School - Stowe School|
|Present Use||Parking lot and drive for school and new Youth Center|
|Original Use||Grammar school|
|Source||J.N. Cole, Glimpses of Andover; Andover Townsman|
|Architectural Style||Romanesque Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Merrill & Cutler of Lowell|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||hip - slate|
|Major Alterations||1st bldg. destroyed by fire 1894 2nd bldg. closed as school in June 1972 Converted in Andover Public Schools Administration Building 1973-1981 Razed in 1982 for development of Doherty Jr. High School|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||39-173A|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, Nov. 8, 2014|