54 Red Spring Road

Historical Narrative: 

The property was once part of the John & Phebe Chandler farm who lived across the street at 51 Red Spring Road. John Chandler was a farmer but also a merchant with a store on Main St. He also owned a fuel business of wood and coal. When he retired the farm implements were auctioned off. At the same time he auctioned off house lots across the street in his 2 1/2 acre pasture between the road and the Shawsheen River.

Red Spring Road was formerly Mineral St. until 1904. Both take the name from a red mineral spring located between 76 & 80 Red Spring Rd. that was frequented daily by residents as the water was both pure and medicinal.

Chandler sold two house lots to Joseph Midgley prior to selling his farm. parcel 1 #54 on June 6, 1888 and parcel 2 #60 on May 29, 1888. Both lots were recorded on July 16, 1888. Andover directories in 1885 and 1888 list Joseph Midgley as a carpenter boarding with a Mrs. Mary Cox on Cuba Street. Joseph was born in Andover baptised on Aou. 17, 1845, the son of James & Hannah (Shattuck) Midgley. He is a carpenter by trade. Perhaps his plans were to build on the lots but died on Oct. 7, 1890 before that could be realized. Joseph was single so his heirs; Charles O. Shattuck, of Alfred, ME, and Martha J. Davis widow, of Reedstown and Mary A. Stewart both of Wisconsin were heirs as next of kin. They sold off the parcels of land to John Hickey on Dec. 1, 1890.

John Hickey built the house at 54 Red Spring Rd. John was born in Ireland 1861, the son of Timothy & Julia (Cronin) Hickey. He married Hannah Minahan and moved to Andover about 1884. John was a section hand with the Boston & Maine Railroad at Andover and Ballardvale. Hickey had seven children, John J. Andrew F., Joseph J. and Vincent P., daughters Mary E. Mrs. William Young and Mrs. Gordan McIntosh.They lived here until 1921 when they sold to Michael J. Cleary in August 1921. Hickey moved to 44 Elm Street. He died on Jan. 10, 1932 and was interred in Immaculate Conception Cemetery in Lawrence, MA.

The Cleary family were only the second family to own the house which they held until 2008. Michael James Cleary was born in Ireland in 1890, son of Cornelius & Mary (Moynihan) Cleary. He was a veteran of WWI. He married Margaret Twomey, daughter of Jeremiah and Margaret (Connor) Twomey. Michael was a gardener and was employed at Phillips Academy.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories

John & Phebe Chandler - 1869 - 1890
Joseph Midgley - July 16, 1888 - b. 96 p. 511 & 512 two land parcels
Joseph Midgley estate, died Oct. 7, 1890
Midgley heirs; Charles O. Shattuck, Martha J. Davis, & Mary A. Sargent, next of kin
John J. Hickey, wife Hannah, - Dec. 1, 1890 - b. 110 p. 185
Michael J. Cleary - Aug. 9, 1921 - b. 444 p. 193
Hannah M. Twomey - Nov. 28, 1958 - b. 885 p. 95 - deed change - two parcels
Michael J. & Margaret Cleary - Nov. 28, 1958 - b. 885 p. 95 & p. 98 - two parcels
James M. Cleary - Aug. 8, 1980 - b. 1446 p. 282 - life tenancy for parents
Michael J. & Margaret Cleary - deaths - 1980 & 1988 - b. 2900 p. 145 & 146
James M. Cleary - Sept. 1988
Christopher Miele - July 15, 2008 - b. 11251 p. 171

Inventory Data:

StreetRed Spring Rd
PlaceAbbott Village
Historic DistrictAndover Village Industrial NRH District
Historic NameJohn Hickey - Michael Cleary House
Present Useresidence - two family
Original Useresidence
Construction Datec. 1890's
Architectural StyleOther
Foundationstone & granite
Acreage0.905 acre
Map and parcel72-5
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, 5/2014