Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. Most of the streets in the new Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Union Street however pre-dates Shawsheen Village. It was once referred to as the “low road to Lawrence from Frye Village. Union St. and North Main were both open to two way traffic prior to the construction of Route 495 in 1962.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association with offices in the Post Office building in Shawsheen Square, later moved into the Administration Building. This home was most likely built on Fletcher St. as the style is similar to other homes built. Fletcher St. contained 14 homes, nine single family and three double houses.
Each home incorporated a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room. Wood also incorporated two family duplexes in every section of the new Village.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company. The AWCo. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The homes began selling in the late 1930's and 1940's. As we don't yet know the original location of this home we can only provide the owners of the new location. With the construction of Route 495 the State acquired all properties in the path of the highway by eminent domain. Owners were forced to sell to the State and move. In some cases the homes were then purchased and moved to new locations. The majority of the homes were demolished and burned. This home is one of the survivors as is the home at #56 Union.
Frank & Mary E. Barker had purchased the home at 437 North Main Street on July 6, 1956. Their property extended through and down to Union St to the east. In 1961 Culbos Realty Associates approached the Barkers to purchased the rear portion of their property for a new house lot. The business partners were Vincent E. Culbart, Andrew P. Sorbo and Maurice Schwartz. The Andover Board of Appeals approved plans for the lot on May 10, 1962. Culbos Realty Associates then purchased the lot on June 29, 1962 and the home was relocated to the site. In the 1963 street directory Fletcher St. no longer exists.
George A. & Beatrice S. Porter purchased the home March 13, 1963. George b. 1917 was an insurance agent. His wife Beatrice b. 1920 was a secretary. In 1965 three children are listed; Dennis V. b. 1942 in the Coast Guard, George A. Jr. b. 1943, and Patricia A. Porter b. 1944 a student.
The Poter family owned the home for ten years then selling to Richard A. & Susan Teixeira on Jan. 12, 1973.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #876 – June 1932 – Textile Realty Co -Lot #
Map #1050 – March 1937 – amended map #876 for narrowing street.
Map #2858 - Dec, 1953 - 437 North Main Street
Map #4541 - Mar. 6, 1961 - Culbos Realty Association
Board Of Appeals - May 10, 1962 - Case #587
Owners of property at #54 Union St.
George E. Murray - land at 437 North Main St.
Arthur P. & Mary W. Tuttle - Jan. 23, 1909 - b. 269 p. 62 - lot at #437 No. Main
Arthur P. Tuttle estate, Mary W. Tuttle heir by will
Ella A. Cassidy - May 18, 1937 - b. 607 p. 123
Angela Gens, wife of Harold F. - Dec. 1, 1937 - b. 652 p. 320
Harold F. Gens, Trustee - Dec. 31, 1948 - b. 717 p. 423
Roland & Dorothy A. Roy - Sept. 3, 1952 - b. 766 p. 23
Roland & Dorothy A. Roy - May 11, 1954 - b. 795 p. 85 deed correction
Frank & Mary E. Barker - July 6, 1956 - b. 836 p. 449
Culbos Realty Associates - June 29, 1962 - b. 962 p. 181 - #54 Union St parcel
Home moved to lot
George A. & Beatrice S. Porter - Mar. 13, 1963 - b. 981 p. 160
Richard A. & Susan Teixeira - Jan. 12, 1973 - b. 1210 p. 363
Stuart Gagnon - McNeil & Charlene B. Gagnon - Sept. 15, 1978 - b. 1351 p. 98
Michael E. & Jennifer L. Wall - June 26, 1997 - b. 4785 p. 51
Timothy R. Cagle - July 27, 2000 - b. 5822 p. 110
Jonathan D. Drury & Julie M. Thomas - Apr. 30, 2003 - b. 7750 p. 43
Owners; land of Shepley, Binney and Fletcher Streets
Sylvester Smith estate, of Worcester, MA
J. Walter Smith of Worcester, MA
Cleora L. Sumner, Trustee -
Henry P. Binney, Trustee of AWCo. - July 30, 1909 - b. 277 p. 314
American Woolen Co. Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215 - (3rd tract of paragraph 4)
Textile Realty Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 344
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Original Use||residence - AWCo. housing|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Move Details||1962 from Fletcher or Binney St.|
|Map and parcel||34-5A|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||October 11, 2015|