Three buildings of nearly identical original design; very minor variations in brackets, porch balustrades, relationship of bay windows to doorways. Characterized by uniform setback (10ft.), spacing (approx. 20 ft), form (duplex), detailing (pediment gables, bracketed eaves, columned and balustraded front porch, bay windows) No. 51-53 is best preserved, shows original decorative shingling, play of textures, shapes and forms. 55-57 has been divided with one half aluminum siding and the other wood clapboard; 59-61 has wood shingles. A striking group of nicely designed two family homes.
Themes: Architectural and Community Development
The triangular parcel of land contained within Elm, Whittier and Summer Streets was once part of Capt. Nathaniel Whittier's estate. His homestead is at 10 Summer Street. Whittier's estate was sold by his heirs, Hannah E. Whittier and Mary W. Dickinson on April 13, 1900 to John H. Campion, and Andover merchant with a store on Elm Square. John Campion was also a business partner with Jacob W. Barnard and Barnett Rogers with land development.
The parcel contained 2 acres 151 sq. rods of land and the Whittier homestead. Champion, Barnard and Rogers divided the vacant land into 18 house lots and began selling them off. This parcel was lot #18 and a portion of lot #1 was sold to James Frank Hale of Woburn on Mar. 22, 1901. James F. Hale, a Broker, developed the properties.
James Frank Hale was born on Sept. 10, 1880 in Groveland, MA son of Samuel C. & Susan A. (O'Donnell) Hale. Hale transferred the properties at #51-53 and #55-57 through William W. Kinnard of Somerville and William J. Drew of Boston on Apr. 1, 1911. The properties were then transferred to Hale's four year old son James Frank Hale Jr. and Hales mother Susan A. (Hale) Wood on Sept. 12, 1912. Susan A. Wood would hold a life tenancy in the unit at #55 Elm St. where the Hales resided with her. Susan had remarried to James A. Wood. #51 - #53 Elm St. was rental property which the Hales later sold in May 1920 to George L. Smith.
William Jaques purchased this property on Feb. 7, 1931. and held for seven years. William J. McCarthy then purchased the house on Dec. 10, 1938 owning for ten years.
McCarthy sold to Maron L. & Agnes M. Chalk and Winfred D. & Alice Moriarty on May 22, 1948, Each family owned on undivided half share in the home.
In June 1990 Sylvia Schofield purchased the home and in 1996 converted it from a two family to a condominium with two units.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Hannah E. Whittier & Mary W. Dickerson - 1900
John H. Campion - April 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 580
Jacob W. Barnard, John H. Campion, Barnett Rogers - April 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 581
James Frank Hale of Woburn - Mar. 22, 1901 - b. 184 p. 372
William W. Kinnard & William J. Drew - Apr. 1, 1911 - b. 302 p. 108
James Frank Hale Jr. & Susan A. Wood - Sept. 12, 1912 - b. 321 p. 138
William Jaques - Feb. 7, 1931 - b. 557 p. 98
William J. McCarthy - Dec. 10, 1938 - b. 620 p. 495
Maron L. & Agnes M. Chalk 1/2 - Winfred D. & Alice Moriarty 1/2 - May 22, 1948 - b. 710 p. 384
Alice Moriarty estate,heir Winfred D. Moriarty - Feb. 10, 1985 - Probate
Winfred D. Moriarty estate heirs - Apr. 10, 1989 - probate
Maron L. & Agnes M. Chalk 1/2, David W., James A. Morierty, Jacquelyn M. Jones - June 1990
Sylvia Schofield - June 25, 1990 - b. 3145 p. 126
Sylvia Schofield - Condominium - June 1, 1996 - b. 4531 p. 209 - master deed
Jay P. Carr - June 28, 1996 - b. 4541 p. 240 - Condo Unit #1 - 55 Elm St.
Stacey C. Carr - Mar. 23, 2001 - b. 6073 p. 123
Navid Nickpour - Feb. 5, 2003 - b. 7504 p. 173
Vahid Nickpour - June 6, 2006 - b. 10221 p. 305
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Hale - Wood House|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||38-240|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|