56 Essex St. – parcel 55-2
The entrance way to Dundee Park and parking lot extending to the brick building was once occupied by a house owned by Isaac Carlton. On an Andover map in 1852 I. Carlton is listed at this location. The 1850 US census lists Isaac Carlton b. 1799 in MA age 51, a Hatter, wife Desire b. 1810 in Maine, age 40, and three children; Charles W, 14, Edward E. 7 and Henry C. age 5.
Rogers Blood lived next door at #60 - #62 Essex St.
The 1860 census has Ann Smart age 50 b. in Scotland a Spinner. Ellen Patrie 17 b. Scotland also a Spinner and George Stewart b. Scotland age 35 Flax Dresser and his family, wife Sarah A. 31 b. England, John W. 12, Martha 10, and George B. age 2.
Joseph A. Smart, wife Martha, are listed on the Andover 1872 map. Joseph A. Smart was a prominent citizen and may have purchased the house as income property. Smart owned the property for about 20 years then selling to the
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co., Inc. July 19, 1889. The home was a two family and used as operative housing. The house is listed as 56 Essex St. on the 1900 Andover Valuation of assessed property under the Smith & Dove. Manuf. Co., value $2500 barn $100.
When Smith & Dove Co. was purchased by the Ludlow Co. in 1927 all the land holdings were placed in the Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. on Feb. 21, 1927. The name was changed to Andover Homes, Inc. Walter R. Amesbury, treas. on Dec. 31, 1927.
Virgil D. Harrington purchased the property and several others on June 7, 1932.
It was then transferred to the Indian Ridge Co., Inc., Virgil D. Harrington, treas. on Nov. 15, 1932.
Titus & Alice M. Corkum purchased this property on Nov. 29, 1932 and a second parcel at #79 Essex St. the former Abbott Village Hall site. Corkum held for 8 years then selling to Nellie May Palmer on Dec. 27, 1940.
Edward & Margaret M. O’Hagen purchased the house on Jan. 20, 1945 and then Emil R. & Dorothy F. Covey held the property on Dec. 20, 1948.
The Inhabitants of the Town of Andover purchased the lot on Dec. 3, 1956 and the house was razed. The lot is now used as the main entrance to the former Smith & Dove Manufacturing mill complex now referred to as Dundee Park.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1884, 1888, 1906, 1926
58 Essex St. – parcel 55-2 – 0.1832 acre
Isaac Carlton – 1850 census & 1852 map
Joseph A. Smart, wife Martha, - 1872 map
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co., Inc. – July 19, 1889 b. 102 p. 242
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. – Feb. 21, 1927 – b. 529 p. 583
Andover Homes, Inc., Walter Amesbury, treas. – Dec. 31, 1927 – b. 538 p. 356
Virgil D. Harrington – June 7, 1932 – b.564 p. 546
Indian Ridge CO., Inc., Virgil Harrington, treas. – Nov. 15, 1932 – b. 567 p. 266
Titus & Alice M. Corkum – Nov. 29, 1932 – b. 568 p. 4
Nellie May Palmer – Dec. 27, 1940 – b. 637 p. 325
Edward & Margaret M. O’Hagen – Jan. 20, 1945 – b. 670 p. 536
Emil R. & Dorothy F. Covey – Dec. 20, 1948 – b. 718 p. 583
Inhabitants of Town of Andover – Dec. 3, 1956 – b. 846 p. 254
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Isaac Carlton - Joseph A. Smart house|
|Present Use||Entrance & parking to Dundee Park|
|Original Use||residence - mill housing|
|Construction Date||circa 1830|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||gable - asphalt|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Barn and shed|
|Map and parcel||55-2|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Jan. 2, 2015|