Craftsman style bungalow
front porch across the entire front facade, dormer roof,
Nice entry surround with original diamond pane window lights flank both sides.
This property was once part of and connected to the homestead property at 9 Lowell Street. The property was purchased by William Miller on Oct. 30, 1885, recorded on Feb. 24, 1888.
William Miller was born on May 7, 1843 in Dundee, Scotland, son of William Miller. He married there on May 31, 1867 to Mary A. Charles b. July 1845 in Dundee. They lived at 2 Watt St, St. Peter Civil Parish, Dundee. William & Mary would have ten children, eight born in Dundee, Scotland and two in Andover, MA.
Children; Mary Anderson b. Jan. 8, 1868, Elizabeth Bruce b. Sept. 13, 1869, Jessie Belle b. Oct. 11, 1873, Wilhelmina b. 1876, David McRichie b. 1878, Jane Charles b. Apr. 1880, William b. May 1, 1882, James Charles b. Feb. 28, 1884, Joseph Abbott b. Dec. 25, 1885 in Andover, and Margaret Kydd b. April 12, 1888 Andover, MA.
The census states the Miller family immigrated to America in 1884 and settled in Andover, MA. William is listed as a blacksmith in the Andover Directories. William died on Nov. 16, 1897 of stomach cancer.
All the Miller children married. In the 1910 census Mary A. Miller now 63 and son Joseph 24, a house carpenter, are living in one side of the house at 9 Lowell St. Her extended family; Frank Ellis 44 a grocery clerk, wife Elizabeth (Miller – Abbott) 40, and son William 14 live in the rear of the house. George Baxter 24, a gardener at Wm. M. Woods farm and wife Margaret (Miller) 22, and son James 4 live in the front of 9 Lowell St. Mary Miller sells the property to William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Co. on Jan. 13, 1914 and Mary moved to 56 Poor St. She died on Aug. 2, 1921 and is interred at West Parish Cemetery.
Mary's daughter Margaret Baxter, on behalf of her siblings as heirs, petitioned the courts for partition of the property on Oct. 17, 1921. It was approved in April 11, 1923 and the property at 56 Poor street was auctioned off by Barnett Rogers on Nov. 3, 1923. Mary's son Joseph A. Miller was the high bidder at $6100. and was deeded the property.
Joseph Abbott Miller was born on Dec. 25, 1885. He was a carpenter and would later be a carpenter in the Shawsheen Woolen Company mills. Joseph married Jessie Mann Kydd b. Jan. 1, 1890 in Andover, daughter of Thomas & Isabella (Laing) Kydd. Joseph and Jessie did not have children. Joseph & Jessie owned the property for 46 years. Joseph died in Nov. 1969.
Margaret L. Beril executed Joseph Miller's estate and the property was the sold to Howard A. & Elizabeth Irene Kimball through the Will.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Miller Family Genealogy - Ancestry.com
Federal Census, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
William & Mary A. Miller
Mary A. Miller
Mary A. Miller estate -
Margaret M. Baxter - Oct. 17, 1921 - notice for partition
Margaret M. Baxter - April 11, 1923 - notice of petition
Barnett Rogers - Warrant of Probate Court - Sept. 13, 1923
Joseph A. Miller - Nov. 23, 1923 - b. 492 p. 189 - purchase by auction
Michael A. Flanagan - Apr. 8, 1924 - b. 498 p. 204 - deed transfer
Joseph A. & Jessie F. Miller - Apr. 8, 1924 - b. 498 p. 204
Jessie F. Miller estate, Joseph A> Miller
Joseph A. Miller estate, Probate - died Nov. 1969
Margaret L. Baril - Feb. 19, 1971 - b. 1166 p. 509
Howard A. & Elizabeth Irene Kimball - Feb. 19, 1971 - b. 1166 p. 510
Robert S. Jr. & Nina P. Rose - Mar. 21, 1973 - b. 1214 p. 781
John & Denise Grasso - Aug. 31, 1979 - b. 1388 p. 256
Martin A. Padley - Oct. 23, 1986 - b. 2336 p. 90
Yadira Delacruz - Apr. 29, 2013 - b. 13445 p. 123
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Joseph A. & Jessie Miller House|
|Construction Date||1915 - 1920|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Major Alterations||addition to north side of house|
|Map and parcel||52-92|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||June 4, 2015|