Themes: Architectural, Community Development
Two houses were once on site of "old red house" of Capt. Job Abbot, and larger one of son Nathan B. Abbot
The small house was known as "The Old Red House". Captain Job Abbot built larger house for his son, Nathan Ballard Abbot, at time of his marriage to Elizabeth Lovejoy Noyes in 1841. The former ship captain supplied ship timber for the construction. Nathan later inherited both houses and land from his father in 1859.
May have been built by Jacob Chickering (Chickering records indicate: " Capt Job Abbott's cottage 23 x 30 feet at Vale")
Capt. Job Abbott was born in Andover on Aug. 7, 1782, son of Deacon Nathan Abbott Jr. and Sarah Ballard. Job married on Oct. 9, 1807 to Lucy Chandler b. 1790 of Concord, NH, daughter of Hezekiah & Lydia Ballard. Job. & Lucy had seven children: Lucy b. Oct. 11, 1811, Job. b. Sept. 1813 d. Feb. 9, 1817, Nathan Ballard b. Nov. 18, 1816, Sarah b. July 18, 1818, Job b. June 8, 1820 - Oct. 18, 1926, Amos b. Feb. 15, 1823 and Joanna b. Nov. 4, 1828. Captain Job Abbott died on Dec. 15, 1859.
Son Nathan Ballard Abbott inherits the homestead farm and his mother Lucy remains in the home with Nathan's family until her death on July 19, 1872. Nathan's marriage intentions were published on Oct. 30, 1841 to Elizabeth Lovejoy Noyes of Windham, NH. Nathan B. & Elizabeth had four children: Job. b. Aug. 23, 1845 - d. Aug. 18, 1896, Ella E. b. July 25, 1848 d. May 27, 1890, Ira b. Dec. 22, 1858 - d. Jan. 6, 1933 and Anna B. b. Nov. 26, 1866. Nathan B. died on Mar. 21, 1885 and his widow Elizabeth and children Ella, Anna and Ira were all heirs to his estate. Widow Elizabeth sold the homestead on April 2, 1889 to John B. Withum of Marblehead, MA.
Sept. 14, 1900. They are interred in South Parish Cemetery, Andover, MA.
John B. Witham, a Marblehead shoe manufacturer, bought the homestead as a summer home and also as investment property. The farm had three parcels, the homestead lot of 80 acres, a two acre lot and a 28 acre parcel. A boundary issue with one of the parcels necessitated John Withum to go to land court to settle the boundaries of his farm in 1906. John B. Withum received the court Disposal on Aug. 11, 1906. (Ctf. 137 and Ctf. #1462).
Withum began selling off house lot parcels of the former Nathan B. Abbott farm. An interesting "Plan of Andover Park, Andover, MA - Globe Publishing Company - Sept. 1, 1906 drawn by C. H. Gawnett, C.E." was published in brochure form to highlight the several parcels available. The former homestead and lot were sold to Josephine Sturgis, wife of Edward W. on Aug. 13, 1906. It has been stated that Sturgis bought both houses and moved "old red house" from first (and present site), attaching it to the house. Three years later he returned it to the original foundation. Josephine & Edward held the property for ten years then transferred the property to Allan H. Sturgis, wife Barbara,of South Hingham, MA on Jan. 4, 1916.
J. Walter Sanborn wife Julia, of Somerville, MA then bought the home on Feb. 14, 1917 and owned for eleven years. On August 20, 1928 Sanborn sold by auction to Alice E. Donovan wife of Francis M. Donovan, a cattle dealer. Donovan just three years then selling to John F. Benjamin of Barre, VT on Aug. 31, 1931. Benjamin then sold to
Doris Bartlett Wheeler wife of Richard Wheeler, a Boston Architect. The Wheelers restored the "old red house". Richard Wheeler died about 1940 and Doris B. remained in the homestead. The 1943 directory indicates that Norman E. & Helen J. Scott may have rented the house. Norman was an independent engineer in Boston.
In February 1944 John B. & Alice G. Cecil purchased the property from Doris B. Wheeler. In the Andover 1951 directory both Doris Wheeler and the Cecils are listed here.
The property was later purchased on Aug. 10, 1959 by Frederick Flather III and remains in his trust in 2016. Fred known as Felix Flather b. in 1931, son of Frederick & Edith Flather Jr., grew up at 45 Abbot St, and was an attorney in Boston. He was a member and served on the board of the Andover Historical Society.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Chickering, Jacob: "miscellaneous account records" North Andover Historical Society.
Captain Job Abbot, wife Lucy
Capt. Job. Abbott estate - Dec. 15, 1859
Nathan Ballard Abbot, wife Elizabeth L. Dec. 15, 1859
Nathan Ballard Abbot estate, Mar. 21, 1885
Abbott heirs, Elizabeth, Ella E, Anna B. and Ira Abbott - - 1885
John B. Withum - April 2, 1889 - b. 99 p. 512
John B. Withum, wife Mary Ann - Aug. 10, 1906 - Ctf. #137
John B. Withum - June 11, 1906 - b. 232 p. 264 - Land Court Notice
John B. Withum - Aug. 11, 1906 - b. 234 p. 131 - Disposal - Ctf. 137 and Ctf. #1462
Josephine Sturgis, wife of Edward W. - Aug. 13, 1906 - Ctf. #138
Allan H. Sturgis, wife Barbara - Jan. 4, 1916 - Ctf. 506
J. Walter Sanborn wife Julia - Feb. 14, 1917 - Ctf. #579
Alice E. Donovan, wife of Francis M. - Aug 27, 1928 - Ctf. # 1680 - 32 acres
John F. Benjamin - Aug. 31, 1931 - Ctf. 1894
Doris Bartlett Wheeler wife of Richard H. - Oct. 30, 1931 - Ctf. #1897
John B. & Alice G. Cecil - Feb. 18, 1944 - Ctf. 2864 (George & Dorothy Horne?)
Frederick Flather III - Aug. 10, 1959 - Ctf. #4807 - (deed transposed as Ctf. #4087)
GWE-6 Trust - Frederick Flather III - Aug. 18, 1994 - Ctf. #12143
|Place||Ballardvale - Scotland District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Capt. Job Abbot/Nathan Ballard Abbot House|
|Construction Date||18th century|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, And. His. Soc. files|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Stable-garage attached.|
|Major Alterations||Restored in 1931|
|Map and parcel||98-6|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 4/19/2016|