Cottage Farmhouse vernacular
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was formerly known as Frye Village. Haverhill Street in old deeds is refereed to as "the way from Frye Village centre to North Andover or North Parish"
This home appears to have been built by Alexander Wilson who purchased the two acre 144 sq. rod lot from the Town of Andover on May 18, 1870. The Town approved the sale at Town Meeting on May 7, 1870. Andover maps do not list a house at this location in 1872 or 1888. Alexander was a Flax dresser at the Smith & Dove Co. in Frye Village. He was born in Scotland Aug. 6, 1818, son of James & Elizabeth Wilson. He came to America and settled in Andover. Alex married on Jan. 24, 1850 to Hannah Bailey b. 1820 in Andover daughter of Samuel & Mary Bailey.They had three children Charles, Ethel J. and Mary E. of which none survived to adulthood. The deed was not recorded, however, until the sale on June 27, 1889 to Thomas Bentley. Alexander & Hannah Wilson then moved into the former David Middleton house at 40 Haverhill St. Alexander died in 1899 and Hannah in 1907. They are interred at West Parish Garden Cemetery.
The former Alexander Wilson property included the land on Haverhill from the house to the Boston & Maine Railroad. Thomas Howard Bentley purchased the property 1889 and his family continued to live in the home until 1957. Thomas was a carriage painter for William Poor and later Tuttle & Morrison, who bought the Poor Wagon Shop business. Thomas & wife Ella Frances had four daughters; Grace Irene, Mae F, Elise L., Evelyn W. and Gertrude and one son William.
Daughter Elsie died at 3m. in 1890 and the rest of the children survived to adulthood. Wife Ella died on Feb. 14, 1914 and Gertrude in May 1917. Thomas followed on Dec. 5, 1918. AT. Dec. 6, 1918 - Obit. "Thomas Bentley died yesterday morning December 5, as a result of pneumonia. He was seventy-six years old and leaves three daughters, Eva, Grace and Etta of Haverhill street, with whom he had lived for much of the time during the past years. He was boarding at the Andover Town Farm at the time of his death and was ill only a few days. He also leaves a son, William, of Fry Village. Mr. Bentley is remembered by many as having been a prominent person in the Fire Department, having slept at the Engine House for several years. The funeral will be probably be held tomorrow afternoon."
The American Woolen Co. purchased a portion of the Bentley property on May 29, 1922 to extend Enmore Street connecting with Haverhill St.
The Shawsheen Village development began in 1918 through 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Enmore Street was developed by Wood who had purchased a 28 acre parcel from George Dufton. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Evelyn W. Bentley & Grace I Bentley took a mortgage with the Andover Savings Bank on Oct. 13, 1923. The loan was paid off and the deed is now reverenced in title to the property. Evelyn married Bertrum George bout 1924 and Mae married Ottis Sprague. Ottis was a mill worker at the Shawsheen Mills.
In the 1926 directory Bertram L. & Evelyn W. (Bentley) George are living at 57 Haverhill St. Bertram is an electrician. Evelyn's sister Mae F. (Bentley) Sprague and her husband Ottis E. Sprague take ownership on May 1, 1946. Mae died in 1957 and Ottis E. Sprague then sold the homestead to George P. & Thelma M. Thomson on July 27, 1957. The Bentley family are interred at West Parish Garden Cemetery.
Thomson sub-divide their property in Jan. 1972 and their son George P. Thomson Jr. built the Cape style home on the rear lot at 53 Enmore St. George and wife Thelma deeded the property to George Jr. on .Feb. 3, 1994.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
#1324 May 1941 amended -
#6566 - Jan 1972 - sub divided lot of 57 Haverhill St.
57 Haverhill St. & 53 Enmore Street
Inhabitants of Andover - Town Meeting Vote - May 7, 1870 sell land
Alexander Wilson, wife Hannah B. - May 18, 1870 - b. 101 p. 138 - 2aces 144 rods
Thomas H. Bentley - June 27, 1889 - b. 101 p. 139 - 2aces 144 rods
Evelyn W. Bentley & Grace I Bentley - Oct. 13, 1923 - b. 488 p. 388 mtg deed ref.
Mae F. (Bentley) Sprague & hus. Ottis E. Sprague - May 1, 1946 - b. 684 p. 157
Mae F. (Bentley) Sprague estate, Ottis E. Sprague, adm. July 16, 1957 - b. 858 p. 213
George P. & Thelma M. Thomson - July 27, 1957 - b. 858 p. 214
George P. & Sharon M. Thomson, Jr. - Feb. 3, 1994 - b. 3975 p.94
American Woolen Company - May 29, 1922 - b. 458 p. 252 part of lot to build Enmore St.
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Wilson - Bentley House|
|Original Use||residence, farmhouse|
|Construction Date||1870 - 1875|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards/asbestos shingle covering|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||19-44|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/11/2015|