Second Empire or French Empire style
Flared mansard roof, scroll brackets on eaves
Double bay windows on both stories with 5 window treatment, create a circular look. Engaged pillar style corner boards create the high style of the period.
Present Owner: Trustees of Phillips Academy
Themes: architectural; community development
This property once belonged to William Griffin and was acquired by Willie F. Richardson after Griffin's death. In the Griffin's will, there was placed a restriction on the property as to its use and occupation that the land could be used for. The property is on the corner of Highland Rd. and Salem St. Highland Road was once referred to as the Old road to North Andover and began on South Main Street traveled past the Case Gage and continued through. It was also referenced as Back Street.
Willie Richardson sold the property of 22,440 square feet to Ruby Carter, of Lowell, MA for $250 on April 22, 1879. The deed included the Griffin restriction and use of the property without interference from Ruby's husband George H. Carter.
A few weeks later on May 7, 1879 a new deed was created on the property through William G. Hammond, removing the Griffin restriction.
Ruby A. (Monroe) Carter was born July 16, 1829 in Milbury, MA daughter of Charles & Mary C. Monroe. She married George H. Carter, Merchant and was living in Lowell, MA at the time she purchased the property. Ruby & George had two daughters, Mary E. b. June 1857 and Ruby I. b. 1860.
Ruby Carter had the French Empire style house built on this corner and a similar two family house built at 34 Salem Street. The home contains 16 rooms and 13 bedrooms. In the 1880 Census the Carter family is living in Andover, and they have three student boarders; Elmer Thompson 18 from MO, John Perry 18 from MA and William B. Colt 17 from Conn. A Sarah Whitney, age 33, is also boarding living with them. Their daughter Ruby died the following year in Aug. 1881 at age 21. George H. Carter died after, as Ruby is a widow in 1900. Ruby and daughter Mary C. are living in Wolfboro, NH. They return to Andover by 1910 living on Highland Rd. with George & Amanda Frost.
Ruby A. Carter died on May 25, 1914 and the property was inherited by her daughter Mary E. Carter through Probate on June 22, 1914. Mary Carter held the property and used it homes as rental income.
Mary E. Carter sold the property to the Trustees of Phillips Academy on December 19, 1928. Mary died on Aug. 25, 1947 and is interred at Spring Grove Cemetery with her mother and sister and grandparents, Charles & Mary C. Monroe.
The house has been used as student dormitory and faculty housing during the Academy ownership.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
William Griffin - land
Willie F. Richardson - land
Ruby Carter - April 22, 1879 - b. 56 p. 31
Ruby Carter - May 7, 1879 - b. 56 p. 32 - deed correction
Ruby Carter estate, Mary E. Carter, heir - June 22, 1914 - Probate #118713
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Dec. 19, 1928 - b. 544 p. 332
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Smith House - Phillips Academy|
|Present Use||dwelling - faculty house|
|Original Use||residence & boarding house|
|Construction Date||c.1879 - 1880|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Second Empire|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - mansard|
|Map and parcel||41-24|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 3/23/2015|