Themes - Architectural, Community Development and Industry.
Hood over entry identical to numerous others found in Abbott Village area.
Architects and carpenters hired to build or remodel various properties.
On the National Register of Historic Places.
The pasture land on this side of Red Spring Road, formerly known as Mineral Street before 1904, was once owned by brothers Abel & Paschal Abbott. The Abel & Paschal built and lived in the houses at #51 and #53 Red Spring Road, respectively. Their 75 acre farm included much of what is now the campus of Andover High School.
The Abbott brothers built a woolen mill in 1813 on the Shawsheen River at the bottom of the hill of Red Spring Road and Essex Streets. Their mill was purchased by Smith and Dove Manufacturing Co. in 1843. The Abbotts’ farm was sold to a brother Job Abbott who in turn sold to his son Amos C. Abbott. Paschal and his family moved to Dexter, Maine. Abel and his wife Mary remained at #53 with a life tenancy until their deaths. Amos C. Abbott sold to John Chandler in February 1869 and moved west to Kansas.
John Chandler was an Andover merchant with his business on Main Street. He ran a successful wood and coal fuel company. John also tended to his 75 acre farm. After his retirement he began selling off his property. The three and a half acre pasture across the street from his home was sold off in house lots in 1887. Mary Mahoney, wife of John Mahoney, purchased the lot at #58 Red Spring Road at the auction on August 8, 1887 for $195.00. The lot was 12,720 square feet and extended down to the Shawsheen River. Andover Advertiser April 20, 1888 p.8 Jerry Mahoney is to build a new house in Abbott Village on the lot he recently bought from John Chandler. Geo. S. Cole does the work.
Mary Mahoney was born in 1850 in Ireland and immigrated to America in 1857. An 1893 Andover Street directory has Mary as living at Baker’s Lane. John Mahoney is living on Mineral Street. In 1897 John Mahoney is listed as employed at Abbot Academy, his house is #58. Timothy J. Mahoney working at the Tyer Rubber Co. is also listed as boarding here. Two years later Mrs. Mary Mahoney is now listed at #58. John is now a farmer and Timothy is working for Smith & Dove Co. but he later returned to the rubber company.
In the 1900 US Census Mary is age 50 a widow. Her son Timothy born June 1876 age 23 is a rubber polisher. Also living with her are her daughter Annie Welch born September 1878 age 21, her husband William Welch b. Dec. 1876 and son William Welch born Feb. 1890 age 10. In 1904 son William Mahoney is a clerk at W. A. Allen’s drug store in the Musgrove Building in Elm Square.
Mary Mahoney sold her home to Albert & Alice Sharp on Nov. 6, 1917. The deed was recorded on Nov. 26. Albert Sharpe was living at 135 North Main St. before moving here and listed in the Andover Street directories as a Rubber Worker at Tyer Rubber Co.
Margaret L. Sharpe is boarding here and is an operative. In 1920 Daniel F. C. & Helen Sharpe are living at #54.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories.
See Survey Form A - Abbott Village, Smith and Dove Manufacturing Co.
John Chandler - Feb. 23, 1869
Mary Mahoney - Aug. 8, 1887 - b. 92 p. 108 - $195.00 land
Albert E. & Alice V. Sharp - Nov. 26, 1917 - b. 383 p. 49
Grace M. & Harold L. Whitworth - Aug. 9, 1944 - b. 666 p. 456
Michael W. & Madeline A. Belka - Jan. 30, 1946 - b. 680 p. 426
Anthony J. & Joanne E. DiIeso Jr. - Sept. 15, 1969 - b. 1139 p.435
Stephen G. & Stephani R. Perrin - July 29, 1977 - b. 1317 p. 616
John & Pauline Y. Stevens - July 19, 1984 - b. 1843 p. 329
Daniel E. & Margaerite H. Coleman - July 8, 1986 - b. 2240 p. 81
Norbert & Sally (Burtnette) Leser - Apr. 21, 1989 - b. 2919 p. 259
Anthony & Odalis O. Rosano Jr. - Nov. 22, 1996 - b. 4638 p. 250
Samuel E. R. Smith & Catherine L. C. Smith - Sept. 14, 2012 - b. 13117 p. 231
|Street||Red Spring Rd|
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Mary & John Mahoney House|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||George S. Cole, builder|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Map and parcel||72-7|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 5/2014|