Themes: Architectural and Community Development
The triangular parcel of land contained within Elm, Whittier and Summer Streets was once part of Capt. Nathaniel Whittier's estate. His homestead is at 10 Summer Street. Whittier's estate was sold by his heirs, Hannah E. Whittier and Mary W. Dickinson on April 13, 1900 to John H. Campion, and Andover merchant with a store on Elm Square. John Campion was also a business partner with Jacob W. Barnard and Barnett Rogers with land development.
The parcel contained 2 acres 151 sq. rods of land and the Whittier homestead. Champion, Barnard and Rogers divided the vacant land into 18 house lots and began selling them off.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Hannah E. Whittier & Mary W. Dickerson - 1900
John H. Campion - April 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 580
Jacob W. Barnard, John H. Campion, Barnett Rogers - April 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 581
James Frank Hale of Woburn - Mar. 22, 1901 - b. 184 p. 372
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||38-239|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|