Federal Period, One and a half story, 8 room two family house with 4 bedrooms. Facade, symmetrical and simple. Front entrance, centered with 6/6 lights, small granite lintels (over and under) windows. Corners plain.
Certificate from MA Historical Commission on file.
The land along Stevens Street was once large pasture and meadow and extended to Abraham Marland’s homestead estate at 29-33 Shawsheen Rd. Marland established a cotton mill in 1807 on the Shawsheen River at Abbott Village which continued until 1811 when he began production of woolen goods. In 1821 “Marland leased from Peter C. Brooks of Boston a mill privilege on the Shawsheen, together with new buildings erected on the site of what had been a powder mill. This is now known as Marland Village.
The buildings, which were leased for a term of twenty years, comprised a brick mill, the oldest of the present buildings, and a row of brick tenement houses.”
In 1828 Marland bought the entire property, his purchased including the mill privilege, old paper and grist mills, and thirty acres of Land. In 1834 the business was organized under the name Marland Manufacturing Company. Abraham Marland was the president until his death on Feb. 20, 1849.
Nathan Frye succeeded Marland as the company president from 1849-1879.
The company defaulted on an 1873 loan from the Andover Savings Bank and the mill was sold at auction to Moses T. Stevens on North Andover in 1879. Stevens began improvements at the mill in 1884 relocating the road, building a causeway across the mill pond, a new bridge, and operative housing on North Main Street and Stevens Street.
August 8, 1884 AA pg2 col 7 Article on Marland Village, new tenements and new road and bridge.
In 1896 the Marland Mill operation employed 200 operatives and manufactured 875,000 lbs. of wool yearly. In 1902 the company was now M. T. Stevens & Sons, Co. and later became known as J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. When the purchased the Marland Manufacturing Company, the property included the tenement housing on Marland Street, later renamed Stevens Street in 1904. In 1953 the Stevens Co. divested itself of all its housing stock in Marland Village which was then subdivided into separate parcels and sold to public residents. Approval of the subdivision plan #2620 was by the Andover Board of Appeals in Nov. 1952.
John A. & Bertha T. McKee purchased the property on Mar. 4, 1953 which is lot#8 on the survey map #2620. In the 1943 Andover Directory John McKee is renting #59 from the J. P. Stevens Co. John A. is listed as a mill worker at the Marland Mill. His wife is Bertha T. McKee. Next door renting #61 id John & Rolande R. McAllister. John is also employed at Marland Mill as a worker. They owned for two years on May 31, 1955 they sold to Irving M. Leoff the owner and president of Clark Motor Co. who had their business on Park Street in Andover. The deed was placed under the company name.
Joseph C. & Sandra L. Lasonde purchased the property on Mar. 31, 1961 and owned about 1 1/2 years selling to
Clarence J. & Marsha M. Pomerleau and Gary H. & Susan V. Hobbs on Sept. 27, 1962. Each family owned a half share in the property. Kathleen A. Franz then bought in Nov. 7, 1967 and the Franz family owned for 16 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser AA
Historical Sketches of Andover, S. Bailey 1880
Business History of Andover, 1896 Anniversary Souvenir.
Andover Historical Society files.
Andover Valuation and directories
Peter C. Brooks
Abraham Marland – 1828 - Feb. 20, 1849
Nathan Frye – Feb. 1849 - July 19, 1879
Moses T. Stevens Co. July 19, 1879 – b. 56 p. 482
M. T. Stevens & Sons Co. – Sept. 1, 1902 – b. 197 p. 180
J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. – after 1946
John A. & Bertha T. McKee - Mar. 4, 1953 - b. 773 p. 333
Clark Motor Co., Irving M. Leoff, Pres. - May 31, 1955 - b. 814 p. 125
Joseph C. & Sandra L. Lasonde - Mar. 31, 1961 - b. 933 p. 338
Clarence J. & Marsha M. Pomerleau and Gary H. & Susan V. Hobbs - Sept. 27, 1962 - b. 968 p. 352
Kathleen A. Franz - Nov. 7, 1967 - b. 1094 p. 331
Karen A. Franz - Apr. 2, 1982 - b. 1568 p. 143
Larry L. & Nancy L. Larsen - June 30, 1983 - b. 1692 p. 282
William J. & Deborah B. McCarthy - Nov. 30, 1983 - b. 1752 p. 209
Stevens Trust, John W. Hueber, Tr. - Apt. 6, 1984 - b. 1794 p. 341
Gary M. & Janice Goldstein - Aug. 8, 1986 - b. 2267 p. 25
Goldstein Realty Trust, - Dec. 21, 1989 - b. 3053 p. 219
Patricia A. Murphy & Christopher D. Sciacca - Oct. 3, 1997 - b. 4860 p. 182
Patricia A. Sciacca - Nov. 30, 1998 - b. 5257 p. 299
K.I.P. Industries Limited, Hoiyin Li Wang, Pres. - Mar. 28, 2000 - b. 5709 p. 151
Thomas M. & Mary Ellen Carroll - July 10, 2003 - b. 8010 p. 90
Carroll Industries, LLC - Sept. 21, 2006 - b. 10400 p. 284
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Marland Mills Double Worker Housing|
|Present Use||two family house|
|Original Use||two family mill tenement|
|Construction Date||circa 1820|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt, two chimneys on ends|
|Major Alterations||porch added|
|Map and parcel||54-114|
|Recorded by||Mrs. D.B. Woodworth, J. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1968, Aug. 2014|