This property was once owned by the Ballard Vale Machine Shop Co. in 1848 and lot was #9 on the Franklin Darracott map of the company holdings. The lot was acquired by Alfred Kittridge, of North Andover, president of the Andover Hat Company in Ballardvale. Kittridge sold this parcel to John R. Smith on Aug. 29, 1862. Smith had also acquired lot #7 and the southern 1/2 of lot #5 which also included the south 1/2 of the house at 55 Center St. With the death of John Smith, his only heir at law was Mary Ida Day, wife of James Day. Mary inherited all three parcels in November 1861. Day held the properties for 25 years.
Mary Day then sold all three properties to Ellen Ashworth, wife of James on Dec. 27, 1886. Ashworth then sold off lot #9 for $75. to Ida H. Davis of Malden, MA on July 6, 1887. Davis then sold the lot to Henry L. Clukey on July 13, 1887.
Henry Lewis Clukey was a carpenter and most likely built the home on the lot. Henry b. May 1847 in Mass. married in 1879 to Sarah Frances Davis, b. Aug. 24, 1846 in Charlestown, MA, daughter of Edward L. & Mary E. Davis. Henry & Sarah had three children, King L. b. 1879, and two adopted daughters, Queenie Eunice b. Dec. 14, 1885 and Myrtle M. b. 1899. Henry is listed as an engineer at a Spring Water Co. in 1910. Ballardvale did have a spring water company in the mill complex off Andover St. Sarah died in 1916. Queenie married Arthur R. Morse in 1919 and on Dec. 23, 1919 Henry transfers the property to his daughter Queenie E. Morse. He reserves for himself life tenancy in his home. Sadly Queenie died in 1920. The 1920 Andover Valuation lists; Queenie E. Morse Heirs; House and shed, Center St.,- $800. and 7140 sq. ft. land $100. Henry then moves to Bradford, MA then later is a resident of the Soldiers Home in Chelsea, MA. Henry died there in 1932. He and his family are interred in the Davis family lot at Spring Grove Cemetery. On Aug. 6, 1934 Arthur R. Morse of Washington, D.C. sells the property to John & Elizabeth McClellan.
John McClennan died on Nov. 23, 1942 and his wife then sold to George H. & Ruth M. Newcomb on Feb. 6, 1943. The Newcombs owned for 35 years. In the 1943 Andover Directory George is listed as a driver for Royal Crown. The house number then was #55 later changed to #59. George b. 1917 later worked for New England Power Co.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Ballard Vale Machine Shop Co. 1848 - Franklin Darracott map
Andover Ballard Vale Machine Shop Co. - 1848 - lot #9
Alfred Kittridge - 1861
John R. Smith - Aug. 29, 1862 - b. 642 leaf 45
John R. Smith estate, heir Mary Ida Day - Nov. 21, 1861 - b. 631 leaf 11
Mary Ida Day - Nov. 21, 1861 - b. 631 leaf 11 - lots #5, #7, & #9
Ellen Ashworth, wife of James - Dec. 27, 1886 - b. 89 p. 182 - lots #5, #7, & #9
Ida H. Davis - July 6, 1887 - b. 91 p. 208 - lot #9 - $75.
Henry L. Clukey - July 13, 1887 - b. 91 p. 210 - lot #9
Queenie E. Morse, wife of Arthur - Dec. 23, 1919 - b. 409 p. 438
Queenie E. Morse estate, heir Arthur R. Morse - probate
John & Elizabeth McClellan - Aug. 6, 1934 - b. 580 p. 110
John McClellan estate, heir Elizabeth McClellan - Nov. 23, 1942 - Probate
George H. & Ruth M. Newcomb - Feb. 6, 1943 - b. 656 p. 69
Thomas L. & Helen Follansbee - Apr. 11, 1977 - b. 1305 p. 668
Mark C. & Paula J. Bergeson - Dec. 15, 1982 - b. 1629 p. 89
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Henry L. & Sarah F. Clukey House|
|Construction Date||1887 - 1890|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Map and parcel||157-74|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 9/20/2016|