Projecting cross -gabled bay and window trim. Similar to 29 Summer & 11 Bartlet.
Themes: Architectural, community development.
This house was once located at 125 Main Street and was sold by John L. Staple to Rose A. Chapman wife of Ovid Chapman in Aug. 1885. Ovid Chapman opened a restaurant and convenience store in the building. It became a popular hangout for the boys attending Phillips Academy. In 1889 Chapman purchased the old South Centre schoolhouse on Central Street from the town and moved it to the site. This house and barn were moved to the rear of the lot and converted into apartments.
May 10, 1889 AT pg. 1 Andover Townsman AT - Ovid Chapman bought the old South Centre School house for $300. He is to place it on the site of his restaurant on Main Street, moving that back.
July 5, 1889 AT pg. 1 - O. Chapman has cut his restaurant in two, moving one half to the rear as a dwelling, and the other for use as a barn. In its place comes the old South Centre Primary schoolhouse which has been uneasily and diagonally sitting on blocks there for several days waiting its chance to get settled. Chapman’s former building now sits on Morton St. (once called Pike St.)
The former ot was once owned by James H. Cochrane, the local blacksmith, who located his Smithy to Punchard Ave. Cochrane sold to George Pike in May 1845, son of Williad Pike who owned and operated a soap manufacturing shop at this corner. It was later relocated to the corner of Morton & Bartlet Streets. This house may have been part of the soap manufacturing plant before Chapman converted the building into his restaurant. It was called "Chapman's" then just Chap's. Chapman operated the business for 15 years before selling out. This house remained with the Chapman family until 1927. Chapman was also a developer and created Chapman Ave.. He built housing and rented rooms to students and residents. PAE Club house at 131 Main and and the Sphinx Club house on Locke St. house student secret societies.
The house has been a residence for students and families since it was moved. In 2003 the house was converted into two condominiums units each with 3 bed rooms, sitting rm. living room and kitchen.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See plan 617
James H. Cochrane – 1840’s lot
George E. Pike - May 16, 1845 – b. 351 leaf 3 Salem deeds
Willard Pike – Sept. 23, 1870 – b. 3 p. 594 – lot mtg.
Willard Pike – Aug. 22, 1877 – b. 48 p. 40 deed -$2000.
Samuel H. Boynton – Aug. 14, 1880 – b. 61 p. 125
Harriet N. Pike – Aug. 17, 1880 – b. 61 p. 126
John L. H. Staples – Apr. 9, 1885 – b 80 p. 342 - $6500.
Rose A. Chapman – Aug. 28, 1885 – b. 82 p. 403 - $7000.
Helen G. Adams, Mary Rita (Adams) Rice, Annie L. Adams, 3/5ths
John J, Adams and Francis F. Adams - 2/5ths Sept. 13, 1926 - b. 542 p. 317
Mary R. Adams - Nov. 8, 1927 - b. 536 p. 262 - Probate #161691
John J. Adams, consvr. for Ann Adams - June 29, 1973 - Probate
Stephen J. & Kathie M. D'Urso - June 29, 1978 - b. 1222 p. 725
John J. DiSalvo Jr. - Apr. 4, 1983 - b. 1661 p. 228
John J. DiSalvo & John J. DiSalvo Jr. - Apr. 1, 1993 - b.3745 p. 61
David Hoffman - Nov. 14, 1996 - b. 4634 p. 250
Max Realty Trust - David Hoffman tr. - Aug. 22, 2002 - b. 5914 p. 344
Morton Street Condominium - Oct. 17, 2003 - b. 8350 p. 46 master deed
Frederick J. & Isabel Seely - Oct. 23, 2003 - b. 8350 p. 58
Isabel Seely - Jan. 18, 2007 - b. 10593 p. 338
|Historic District||Main/Locke Streets NRH District|
|Historic Name||Pike-Chapman building|
|Construction Date||1872 or earlier|
|Source||style -njs, ECRD, ENRDL|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Wall/Trim||wood clapboards, coverd vinyl sided|
|Major Alterations||Moved in 1889 Conversion into apartments Condos 2003|
|Move Details||July 1889|
|Acreage||4,400 sq. ft.; approximate frontage 50'|
|Map and parcel||40-10|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 3/2014|