A Cape style home, roof dormers, front porch. The home is not considered historic but was listed with the building survey of Boston Rd. in 2006. It does however carry an ownership line and a history of development from a farm to residential neighborhood in the 20th century.
Present owner: Dowell/Feeney, Arthur Doucette #3 house was raised
Boston Road has had several names through the years including, Old County Rd (1915), Foster’s Pond Rd. 1930-1935, Old Boston Road and then Boston Rd. by 1937. Deeds can be confusing at first and street directories misleading as we now have a County Rd and Foster’s Pond Rd adjoining Boston Rd. What appears as a move to another street is actually a street name change. Andover Valuation Schedule in 1920 adds to the issue by listing the road as Main St. This area is in the South District in the Valuation lists and within the Scotland School District from 1785-1902. Only one house is listed on the road in 1906 at #5. With development in this neighborhood came an influx of French Canadians who purchased lots on Boston Rd. It was sometimes referred to as “Frenchville” by locals.
This property was once owned by Rufus Caldwell and was part of his 75 acre farm. His house was located east of Boston Rd. between So. Main St. His estate was auctioned off after his death in October 1891. The property was purchased by Brooks F. Holt for $1500. Brooks F. home was on South Main St. and he was an Ice Dealer in town. Brooks later sold his business and began selling off parcels of the former Caldwell farm.
Brooks Holt sold this parcel to Sophia Doucette on July 23, 1915. Sophia then sold the lot for $400 to Freeman & Kate Doucette on Jan. 25, 1919 The parcel contained 91650 sq. ft. which included the land occupied by #8 and #10 Boston Rd.
Arthur J. & Jeanne B. Doucette purchased the property on Feb. 17, 1945 with buildings. It has been stated that the house was originally built on a slab and later raise up to include a basement with living space below. The Doucette family held the property for 40 years then selling this parcel to Frank & Nancy Poland on March 26, 1955. Five years later the house was sold to Frederick R. & Thelma Whitcomb on April 7, 1960.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Rufus Caldwell estate, Albert W. Caldwell Adm. - June 1, 1891 - Probate
Brooks F. Holt - Nov. 9, 1891 - b. 116 p. 41
Sophia Doucette - July 23, 1915 - b. 355 p. 410
Freeman & Kate Doucette - Jan. 25, 1919 - b. 395 p. 171 - lot 91650 sq. ft.
Arthur J. & Jeanne B. Doucette - Feb. 17, 1945 - b. 671 p. 81 portion
Frank S. & Nancy L. Poland - Mar. 26, 1955 - b. 774 p. 35
Frederick R. & Thelma L. Whitcomb - Apr. 7, 1960 - b. 912 p. 495
Thelma L. Whitcomb estate, heir Frederick R. Whitcomb - June 14, 1981
Geoffrey Dowell, D'Arcy Dowell, Gloria Dowell - b. 3573 p. 244
Geoffrey Dowell - July 31, 2006 - b. 10326 p. 330
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Arthur J. & Jeanne B. Doucette House|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Major Alterations||original house was built on slab|
|Map and parcel||83-1|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||01/30/2006, 5/13/2018|