Florence Street was constructed in 1885. The south end portion (Park St.) of two acres and 28,045 sq. ft. was owned by Hannah W. Foster, wife of Joseph W. Foster. Hannah sold the parcel to William Wood, a carpenter for $1900 on March 13, 1883. Wood built his home at 66 Park St. and house lots extended on both sides up to #21 and #24. The north end portion (Elm St.) on the east side was the former Moses Abbot Jr. homestead at #49 Elm St. Owned by his son George T. Abbott, also a House-wright, who was partners with William S. Jenkins in the firm Abbott & Jenkins. The Abbot parcel extended to #20. The west side of Florence St. to #17 was formerly owned by the Henry Burtt estate formerly at #35-#37 Elm St.
Oct. 2, 1885 Andover Advertiser - pg. 2 col. 9, “The new way between Park and Elm has been completed by Nathan F. Abbott, the contractor, and accepted by the Selectman. Several names have been suggested……”
House lots were then created and sold to a variety of residents.
Patrick Hannon purchased this house lot from George T. Abbott on Aug. 29, 1895 which extended down to Elm St with 116.5 on Florence St and 65 ft. on Elm St.
AT - Nov. 27, 1896 – Hardy & Cole have the large new double house for P.J. Hannon on the corner of Florence and Elms Streets well under way.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan #949 - Jan. 1935 - sub-divide lot
Enoch Abbott Jr. - Dec. 6, 1831 - b. 262 leaf 195 - 49 Elm St.
George T. Abbott - Nov. 17, 1876 - b. 43 p. 548 - 49 Elm St.
George T. Abbott - Mar. 11, 1881 - b. 63 p. 58 - quit claim
George T. Abbott - Apr. 13, 1881 - b. 63 p. 420 - quit claim
Moses Foster - Aug. 16, 1884 - b. 77 p. 326 - deed transfer
Alice Abbott, wife of George T. Abbott - Aug. 16, 1884 - b. 77 p. 327
George T. Abbott
Patrick Hannon - Aug. 29, 1895 - b. 143 p. 347 - lot
Patrick Hannon - Apr. 30, 1909 - b. 272 p. 525 - mtg. MMFICo.
Andover Savings Bank - 584 p. 115 - foreclosure
Albert & Margaret W. Cole - Jan. 16, 1935 - b. 585 p. 181
James E. & Margaret A. Williamson - Apr. 11, 1951 - b. 748 p. 510
Carroll R. & Elaine R. Berube - Aug. 10, 1961 - b. 941 p. 471
James E. & Freda Madden - Oct. 7, 1964 - b. 1020 p. 242
Mary E. Gates - Aug. 13, 1971 - b. 1177 p. 388
Mary E. Gates estate, John H. Kimball Jr., Extr. - Probate 1994
Thomas M. Prezkop - Sept. 29, 1994 - b. 4135 p. 49
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Construction Date||1895 - 1900|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Wall/Trim||cedar shingles/clapboards/vinyl clad|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||vinyl siding, replacement windows|
|Acreage||0.054 acre, 2372 sq. ft|
|Map and parcel||39-77|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 9, 2017|