Colonial Revival "bungalow"
Present owner: Norris, Walter & Mabel
Themes: architectural; community development
In 1990 the street name was changed from High Street in Ballardvale to High Vale Lane to avoid confusion with High Street in Andover Center.
To understand the deed references, one needs to know that in the 1860s this area from High Vale Lane eastward to Woburn Street along the south side of Andover St. had been laid out for development in two separate sections. The "Ella R. Anderson Tract" contained 89 small lots of about 50' x 200' in size bounded by High St. (High Vale Lane), Andover St., and included new roads named Anderson Ave, Eames Ave, Reynolds, Priest and Dexter Streets. They we laid out but never constructed. The second development called "East Vale" extended to Woburn St. (Called the Wilmington Road) and included new roads named First, Second, and Third Streets running parallel to Andover St. and Preston St intersecting the development down the middle. These lots were larger in size. Ella R. Anderson and her husband Josiah J. Anderson acquired the property from Elizabeth Ryley wife of George W. Ryley in 1866. Most lots were sold off in multiple groups of two, four or six. Today they are considered "Paper Streets" but still referenced in property deeds. A map below in 1906 gives a visual reference to the mentioned developments.
When Elizabeth Ryley sold the large track of land to Anderson the deed included the following restrictions; ...that no liquor store, slaughter house or other offensive building or occupations shall be allowed on the premises within twenty years from this date, and that all buildings erected on said premises shall be set back at least twenty feet from the line of the street." As for the houses built "It is agreed that the grantee is to erect a good & substantial dwelling house of not less than two stories in height within one year of this date on one or more of the lots here in named."
The Andersons began selling off parcels and this property was sold to Ella F. Reynolds, wife of Henry W. Reynolds of Boston. Reynolds paid $3500 for 14 lots numbered #200 - #213. Her deed restriction stated the dwelling had to be started "within three months" of sale of purchase. Three months later on July 25, 1876 Reynolds sells five lots to Charles A. Clark for $2545. He purchased lot #200 and #202 - #205. This house was built on lot #202. Clark then sells the lots to the Lawrence Lumber Co., Luther Ladd, Treasurer in Dec. 1877. We believe the Lumber Co. built the dwelling house and then sold to Caroline Holt on December 13, 1877 for $1675. which included the five lots.
Caroline Holt (#4 High Vale Ln) owned for 14 years then sold to Timothy Lowe for $2000. on Feb.10, 1891. Caroline was listed as a resident of Kenduskag, Penobscot, Maine at the time of sale. The Lowe family owned for 33 years.
Widow Mary S. Lowe sold this lot #203, to Irving R. Shaw on Sept. 6, 1904. The house was built for Irving Shaw at the time of his marriage. In 1927 Irving placed the deed in both his and wife Alice names. The property remained in the Shaw family ownership for 40 years. On June 1, 1944 Shaw sold the home to B. Mildred Gray. Gay owned just four years then selling to M. A. Louise Robinson in September 1948. Louise held the property for eight years.
Walter R. Norris Jr. and wife Mabel T. Norris purchased the property on July 5, 1956. The Norris family were long term owners of 57 years. After the death of Walter Norris, Mable placed the property into a Revocable Trust with her as Trustee. In July 2013 Norris sold the property to Kimberly Rzepecki.
1930: Jane and Otto Escholz, manager
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Ballardvale Map 1906
Birds Eye View of Ballard Vale 1885 - Map detail
George Ellis - Aug. 14, 1854 - b. 499 leaf 157
George J. Tenney & Samuel Little - Apr. 27, 1864 - b. 666 leafs 37-41
Elizabeth Ryley, wife of George W. Ryley - b. 679 leafs 74 - 75
Ella R. Anderson, wife of Josiah B. Anderson - 1864
Ella F. Reynolds, wife of Henry W. Reynolds - Apr. 20, 1876 - b. 41 p. 38 - $3500 (14 lots)
Charles A. Clark - July 25, 1876 - b. 42 p. 376 - $2545 - (5 lots)
Lawrence Lumber Company, Luther Ladd, Treas. - Dec. 1877 - b. 49 p. 200
Caroline Holt - Dec. 13, 1877 - b. 49 p. 200 - $1675 - (5 lots)
Timothy Lowe - Feb. 10, 1891 - b. 110 p. 553 - $2000 - ( 6 lots with blds)
Timothy Lowe estate, Mary S. Lowe - heir
Irving R. Shaw - Sept. 6, 1904 - b. 215 p. 317 - lot #203
William D. McIntyre - Nov. 18, 1926 - b. 537 p. 14 - deed transfer
Irving R. & Alice G. Shaw - Nov. 18, 1926 - b. 537 p. 15
B. Mildred Gray - June 1, 1944 - b. 665 p. 20
M. A. Louise Robinson - Sept. 30, 1948 - b. 716 p. 165
Walter R. & Mable T. Norris, Jr. - July 5, 1956 - b. 837 p. 378
Walter R. Norris Jr. estate, Mable T. Norris heir
Mable T. Norris 1992 Revocable Trust, Mable T. Norris Trustee - May 6, 1992 - b. 3459 p. 322
Kimberly Rzepecki - July 30, 2013 - b. 13577 p. 44
|Street||High Vale Ln|
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Irving R. & Alice Shaw House|
|Construction Date||1904 - 1905|
|Source||Ruth Sharpe, BV librarian|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gambrel|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Acreage||0.253 acre; 11,000 sq. ft. Approx. frontage, 55'|
|Map and parcel||139-48|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 12/7/2016|