Themes: Architectural, community development, recreation.
This property was once part of the Nathan W. Hazen Estate at 111 Main Street (formerly the Locke Estate)which extended from Locke Street to Morton Street. John H. & Frances A. Flint purchased the property in October 1888 and began to divide the former estate into house lots which spurred development on both Locke Street and southward along Main Street. Frances Flint sold this lot to William G. Goldsmith on Feb. 14, 1890. Goldsmith had been the former principal of the Punchard Free School, a faculty member at Phillips Academy, and Andover Postmaster. He lived on Elm Street and was the father of Bessie Goldsmith, one of the founding members of the November Club. Wliiam sold this lot to the November Club on July 22, 1891 and a year later the clubhouse was dedicated on Feb. 22, 1892, building is said to be the first built in New England for purpose of serving as clubhouse and meeting place for a women's organization. Bessie Goldsmith stated "it was first building on street, then called Love Lane."
It is prime example in Andover, of the shingle-style, an architectural style which broke with established pattern of Victorian architecture and returned to earlier American buildings for inspiration. There was a renewed use of rough wooden shingles as exterior covering. Roof surfaces swept down to cover turrets and windows and there are Palladian style ached windows. This is an unique example of a non-residential shingle style structure. The November Club got its name from the month of the date when the club was established.
The Woman's Club, when first established, had a large membership of women who were a list of Andover's Who's Who of most influential women, wives of prominent citizens and single ladies who helped create a better community for the residents. They supported the Arts and established an Art Scholarship for an high school senior student going on to Art College. The selection process was a juried show of the students portfolio of work to determine the scholarship each year.
By the 1980's the membership began to dwindle to a few dozen members so the November Club sold their building to the Unitarian Unilateralist Church of Andover for $141,000. in November 1985. The money was placed in their trust fund for scholarships to students. They continued to have meetings in the former clubhouse but finally disbanded the club. In 2006 the membership dwindled to three. Marjorie E. Jones was the President and Gladys Sakowich was the Treasurer. They exhausted the trust fund in 2006 by giving out 3 $6000. scholarships to art students in June 2006.
The Unitarian Universalist Church continues to own the property and in 2015 will mark their 30th Anniversary at this location.
Cole, John, N. Glimpses of Andover, 1896
Goldsmith, Bessie; Townwoman's Andover, 1964
Andover Historical Society files; "History of November Club" Andover Historical Society Nov. 6, 1914
Andover Townsman, Nov. 24, 1976
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Major Daniel Cummings - 1818 -1825
James Locke - 1825 - 1840
Nathan W. Hazen - 1840 – 1887
Mary P. Hazen estate, Abby Pingree - 1887 – 1888
Frances A. Flint & John H. Flint - Oct. 16, 1888 - b. 97 p.453
William G. Goldsmith - Feb. 14, 1890 p. 105 p. 154
November Club - July 22, 1891 p. 116 p. 7
Unitarian Unilateralist Church of Andover Massachusetts, Inc. - Nov. 29, 1985 - b. 2088 p. 249
|Historic District||Main/Locke Streets NRH District|
|Historic Name||November Club|
|Present Use||November Club|
|Original Use||Women's Club (said to be first Mass. Women's Club House built in New England)|
|Roof||interesting roof design|
|Major Alterations||improvements 1914|
|Acreage||9,480 sq. ft. Approximate frontage 80'|
|Map and parcel||40-2|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77 02/17/2006, 3/2014|