6 Shawsheen Road

Architectural Description: 

Andover Village Industrial NRH District
Greek Revival, pediment to street.

Historical Narrative: 

Certificate from the Massachusetts Historical Commission on file.
The shift in location of the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. from Frye Village (now Shawsheen Village) to Abbott Village began after they purchased the Abbott Mill in 1843. This created a demand for more housing for operatives in their mill.

This property is marked as J. Dooris on the 1852 map of Andover and was constructed between 1851 - 1860. Nathan W. Hazen sold the property at 4 Shawsheen Rd. to James Dooris on Feb. 27, 1854. The parcel extended from Shawsheen Rd. (Village St.) up the hill to Cuba St. (#14) James Doris divided the parcel into two separate lots selling the Cuba St. parcel to John Bonner & Patrick McCormick, both Laborers for $450 with buildings on Aug. 30, 1854. The house at 4 Shawsheen Rd. went to John O'Connell on Aug. 29, 1854.

John O'Connell was born in Mar. 1825 in Ireland, son of Jeremiah & Bridget O'Connell. John came to the US at age 21 and settled in Lawrence where he worked as a wheelwright. He married on Feb. 16, 1850 in Lawrence, MA to Mary Horan b. 1826 in Ireland dau. of Patrick and Honora Horan. John moved to Andover in 1849, worked as a carpenter but then returned to his trade as a wheelwright. John & Mary had nine children: Bridget b. 1852, Charles Jeremiah b. 1853, William b. 1855, John A. b. 1857, Mary J. b. 1858, Susan J. b. 1861, David b. 1861, Arthur b. 1863, Lydia b. 1863 and George H. b. 1867.

The 1860 Valuation Schedule lists John O'Connell, West District, 1/2 acre land and house $800. The 1870 Valuation lists; Old house $800, New House $1000, barn $150, 1/2 acre $200 = $2150. His farm stock $56. The 1865 State census lists John and wife Mary and family at 4 Shawsheen Rd. We now know from the deed transfers that John and Mary moved up to the new house by 1870. They sold #4 to Harry H. & Franklin S. Noyes on Sept. 7, 1894. Mary died on October 20, 1896 and John two months later on Dec. 28, 1896. Both are interred at St. Augustine's Cemetery.
The six surviving O'Connell children; William, Arthur, John A., David J. O'Connell and daughters Bridget Abercrombie and Mary J. Warden inherited the home in 1897. They sold to John McKenzie in August 1897.

John P. McKenzie was born in Ireland in June 1844 son of Austin & Nancy (Hastings) McKenzie. He came to the US, enlisted as a Private in Co. G. 3rd HA in Lawrence, MA in Sept. 1863 and mustered out Sept. 1965. John married on Nov. 12, 1865 in Indian Orchard, Hampton Co. MA to Ann Smith, b. Aug. 1844 in Ireland. John worked for Smith & Dove Mfg. Co. as a Flax Dresser in the Hackeling Dept. for many years then later as a rope maker at the Charlestown Naval Yard. John & Ann had nine children; James b. 8/6/1866 in Ludlow, MA, John P. b. 5/30/1868 Andover, Austin b. 10/26/1870, Mary Ann b. 2/17/1873, Joseph b. 2/24/1875, Ambrose James b.6/8/1877, Agnes C. b. 4/8/1880, Christina b. 12/ 5, 1884-d.1/23/1892 Margaret b. 8/6/1886-d. 2/20/1887 6m of meningitis.

Sadly John & Ann survived all but three of their children; Consumption took James age 20 on 12/3/1886, John P. age 19 8/22/1887, Austin died of Bronchitis age 21 on 1/16/1892, Christina age 7 drowned in a sledding accident on the Mill Pond Jan. 23, 1892, Joseph died at 16 on 2/20/1892.

Ann died on Jan. 4, 1901 of a cerebral hemorrhage and John died at age 56 of pneumonia on May 4, 1904. All are interred at St. Augustine’s Cemetery. Mary A., Ambrose and Agnes inherited the property. Mary and Agnes remained in the house and worked for Smith & Dove. Ambrose married moved to NYC and was the manager of a restaurant, later a Guard at the Customs house in NJ and had four children.
The McKenzie family sold the house to James J. Sullivan on March 26, 1913.

James Sullivan was born in Ireland Sept. 26, 1876, immigrated in 1891. Married Margaret Gilligan b. 1874 in Ireland. James worked for Smith & Dove Mfg. Co. as a bundler until the plant closed in 1928 then to Tyer Rubber Co. as a watchman. James & Margaret had five children; James J. b. 12/12/1902, Alice b. 4/23/1906-d. 9/2/1908, Ellen “Nellie Bernadine b. 1908, Margaret b. 5/23/1911-d. 5/23/1911 and Margaret C. b. 7/7/1912. Wife Margaret died in 1957. Jame Sullivan owned the home for 47 years when he sold to his daughter Margaret C. West, wife of Myles J. West on Oct. 22, 1960. Myles was born in 1898 and was a Railroad Agent. James continued to live with his daughter until his death in 1963. West held the property for 11 years selling to Gerard A. Eileen M. DuBois on March 25, 1971.
The DuBois transferred their property into The Dubois Realty Trust in Dec. 1992. The property is now owned by Noel H. & Alexander Taylor.


Nathan W. Hazen – Jan. 5, 1846 – b. 363 leaf 158
James Dooris – Feb. 27, 1854 - b. 490 leaf 234 - $400
John O'Connell - Aug. 29, 1854 - b. 499 leaf 108 Salem deeds
John O'Connell estate, heirs William, Arthur T., John A. David J. Bridget O. Abercrombie, and Mary J. Warden.
John McKenzie - Aug. 19, 1897 - b. 157 p. 358 Lawrence, deeds
John McKenzie estate heirs; Mary A. Ganley, Agnes C. McKenzie and Ambrose J. McKenzie
James Sullivan - Mar. 26, 1913 - b. 328 p. 358
Margaret C. West - Oct. 22, 1960 - b. 925 p. 398
Gerard & Elieen Dubois - Mar. 25, 1971 - 1168 p. 88
The Dubois Realty Trust - Dec. 9, 1992 - b. 3618 p. 128
Noel & Alexander Taylor - 7415 p. 210

Inventory Data:

StreetShawsheen Rd
PlaceAbbott Village
Historic DistrictAndover Village Industrial NRH District
Historic NameJohn O'Connell House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1851-1860
Architectural StyleGreek Revival
Foundationstone & granite
Wall/Trimvinyl clapboards & trim
Major Alterationsattached porch 20th century
Acreage0.32484 acre
Map and parcel72-15
Recorded byStack/Mofford; James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, updated 1/2014, 8/2022