Formerly built as a Queen Anne cottage, now neo-colonial revival
#6 Whittier Court
6 Whittier Court lot was sold by James H. Cochrane to Henry W. Cunningham on Aug. 8, 1890 for $400. Henry W. Cunningham was born on Sept. 12, 1859 in Green Co., Georgia, son of Ned and Grace (Stoball) Cunningham. Henry was African-American and married in 1878 in Georgia to Abbie Watts b. Dec. 1862 also in Georgia. They had three children, none of which survived to adulthood. Henry was a gardener and is listed in Andover in the 1883 directory living on Punchard Ave. The avenue was extended in 1859 from Bartlet St. down the south and east sides of what is now our “Park” and up to Elm St. The extension was re-named Whittier Street.
Henry Cunningham died on Dec. 29, 1910 of stomach cancer. Henry’s estate went to his wife Abbie. Abbie is listed in the 1920 census at 8 Whittier Ct. She has a widowed brother-in-law Elbert Scott age 70 and wid. nephew Thomas Scott age 50 with her, also Henrietta Lassiter, age 40, a lodger from No. Carolina. Also William Greenwald 35, a dyer in a print shop and his wife Rose, a Doffer in Smith & Dove flax mill. Charles Parmelee, 45, a teacher in private school board with Abbie. Abbie died in Nov. 1920 and in interred at Spring Grove Cemetery.
Abbie Cunningham sold the property to Samuel & Nellie J. Gilliard on Aug. 22, 1910. The 1910 census list James H. & Susan M. Barton of Nova Scotia, Canada, and two sons Norman 17 and John J. 13 as renting the house. The Barton’s were also an African-American family.
The 1920 census lists Gilliard at #6 Whittier Ct. Samuel Gilliard was born in Dec. 1878 in Gough, South Carolina, son of John & Emily (Mathis) Gilliard, also African-American decent. Sam married on April 18, 1906 in Boston to Nellie Cobb b. 1880 in Norfolk, VA, (census list North Carolina), dau. of Dugle & Elizabeth (Macnare) Cobb. Sam was a coachman and Nellie a maid. A nephew Samuel Ganey age 10, born in So. Carolina is with them in 1920. Samuel held several jobs, a stationary fireman in a paper office, janitor in a printing establishment and later as a chauffeur for a private family. The 1940 census list Elizabeth Jones age 93 wid. mother of Nellie with them. Samuel died May 15, 1946. Nellie died on May 18, 1964. Her estate went to Champlin W. Jones, wife Ruby, of Allston, MA. Jones rented the house to Hans D. & Lucile H. Gordon and Sylvia M Howard who remained tenants after Jones sold to Donald A. & Catherine P. McNeil on Apr. 22, 1967.
The former Queen Anne style cottage was first altered by cladding in asbestos shingles by 20th century. The home was again extensively altered with a full second story and rear addition with the full front porch on the front facade. An early period photo shows as built. These original details were also lost when asbestos siding was later added.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Ancestry.com Cummingham, & Gillard families
Map #8094 – May 4, 1979
John L. Abbot
Trustees of Phillips Academy – May 12, 1836 – b. 289 leafs 300 – 301 – 12a 3 rods
George H. French - Feb. 15, 1854 – b. 490 leaf 29 - $4000 – 53.24 acres
James H. Cochrane, wife Sarah S. – Sept. 14, 1857 – b. 564 leaf 81 – 3 acres
James H. Cochrane, wife Sarah S. – June 18, 1858 – b. 572 leaf 274 – 6a 75 rods
Henry W. Cunningham – Aug. 8, 1890 – b. 108 p. 255 - $400
Edward L. Snowdon – Dec. 4, 1891 – b. 116 p. 221 – deed transfer
Abby Cunningham – Dec. 4, 1891 – b. 116 p. 222 - $800
Abby & Henry W. Cunningham - 1910
Samuel & Nellie J. Gilliard – Aug. 22, 1910 – b. 294 p. 281
Samuel Gilliard estate, Nellie J. heir – May 15, 1946
Nellie J. Gilliard estate, heir Champlin W. Jones – May 18, 1964 - Probate will - #280,159
Donald A. & Catherine P. McNeil – Apr. 22, 1967 – b. 1080 p. 277
John E. & Muriel E. Madden – Mar. 1, 1972 – b. 1188 p. 713
James A. & Martha M. Booth – Sept. 21, 1974 – b. 1249 p. 462
Richard G. Gagnon & Deborah A. Sarnblad – July 16, 1979 – b. 1377 p. 263
Richard G. & Deborah A. Gagnon – May 18, 2000 – b. 5752 p. 303
Joseph B. & Ann M. Guerrera, Bridget Cox – May 1, 2014 – b. 13840 p. 277
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Henry W. & Abbie Cunningham house|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Major Alterations||Built as a 1 1/2 story Queen Anne cottage with side and rear porches, the house went through extensive renovations after 2000.|
|Map and parcel||39-171|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 12/03/2019|