William Street was originally named Warwick Street when Shawsheen Village was laid out. The name was changed by a vote at Andover Town Meeting in March 1923 in memory of William M. Wood Jr., son of William M. & Ellen (Ayer) Wood, who died in an automobile accident on Aug. 15, 1922.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Company for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 were George H. & Hester I. Gerrish. George was an architect in Lawrence, MA.
They are listed in 1928,
This house was sold to Alfred & Amelie Marum on Mar. 23, 1940. Alfred was a hosiery manufacturer in Lawrence, MA.
Their daughter Hildegarde (Marum) Lebow purchased the home on Oct. 11, 1972. Hildegarde placed the deed in both her and son James A. Lebow names in 2012. The property remains with the Lebow family in 2017.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - lot 12 - Parcel 20
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52 - 9.86 acres
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 20th parcel
Alfred & Amelie Marum - Mar. 23, 1940 - b. 629 p. 547
Alfred Marum estate, Amelie Marum heir - Aug. 21, 1958 Probate
Hildegarde Lebow - Oct. 11, 1972 - b. 1204 p. 100
Hildegarde & James A. Lebow - Apr. 28, 1988 - b. 2721 p. 151
Hildegarde Lebow - Dec. 20, 2004 - b. 9261 p. 287
Hildegarde Lebow & James A. Lebow - May 30, 2012 - b. 12952 p. 3
Hildegarde Lebow - May 30, 2012 - b. 12960 p. 133
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Alfred & Amelie Marum House|
|Construction Date||1920 - 1922|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Adden & Parker of Boston|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Map and parcel||52-59|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|