Right side of house is earlier.
Themes: architectural, community development
Certificate of Appreciation - Andover Preservation Awards, May 1, 1994
Housing for workers at earliest spinning mills along the Shawsheen River. Subsequent use as tavern and residence.
The house that occupied this site was razed on August 21 & 22, 2012 after much effort by the Preservation Commission to prevent demolition by developers. The house had a long history in Abbott Village and deeds lead back to the Griffin family. The owner of the property in 2006 gutted the interior of #60, left side, down to the studs with a plan to add an additional apartment to the rear but that never materialized.
The exposed walls revealed that the left side had been a separate structure and moved to this location. There was no basement under this portion of the house. The two structures, both post and beam, had never been tied together, both standing independently with a few inches of space between. Only the exterior sheathing joined the the two houses. Closed off windows on the right side revealed the the house at #62 was built as a Cape. The large chimney held five fireplace boxes, one located in the basement and probably used as a summer kitchen. It has been stated that this space was also once used as a tavern.
Jonathan Griffin was born in Andover on June 23, 1774 the son of Shemuel [sic] & Abigail Griffin. He married a Zeruiah and they had eight children; Jonathan b. Feb. 16, 1795, Jonathan b. Feb. 6, 1797, Joseph b. Nov. 8, 1798, Cyrus b. Nov. 9, 1800, Charles b, Aug. 3, 1802, Roxanna b. Dec. 27, 1803 d. Dec. 29, George b. Mar.15, 1807, Henry b. Feb. 3, 1810. A six boys survived to adulthood. Their father Jonathan died on July 13, 1813 at the age of 41. Zeruiah Griffin, widow and tailoress, died of a diseased heart on Nov. 1, 1845 at the age of 71.
Thomas C. Foster was executor of Zeruiah Griffin estate. The property was purchased by Rogers Blood, laborer on Nov. 2, 1846 for $800. The 1850 Census lists Roger Blood 56 a mason. Wife Martha 51, children James 23 mason, Martha M. Magee, 21, Roxanna 15, George W. 12 and John L. age 1. A Winthrop Shazey 27 and Mr. Dennett 24 both mill wrights born in NH were boarding at the home. Blood owned for seven years then selling to David Higgins, laborer on Oct. 18, 1853 for $650.
The Higgins family held the property for 41 years before selling to the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. on Aug. 14, 1894. Richard Donahue, wife Maria (Higgins) Donahue, and Higgins heirs handled the sale to S & D. Co. The house was then rented out to mill operatives. With the sale of the Smith & Dove to the Ludlow Co. in 1927 all the company holdings were placed into the Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. The holding company changed its name to to Andover Homes Inc. which then transferred to Ludlow Manufacturing Associates on Aug. 31, 1928.
Virgil D. Harrington purchased the property in June 1932 then to Indian Ridge Co. Inc. in Nov. 1932. The house was then bought by Alexander & Hughina (Ina) Auchterlonie on Aug. 5, 1933.
The Auchterlonie family held the property for 45 years then selling to David & Ella C. Cargill on June 10, 1977. David Cargill died March 2, 1978. Ella maintained the property doing needed renovations and received recognition for her efforts with a Certificate of Appreciation Award from the Andover Preservation Commission on May 1, 1994. Ella held the property until Apr. 9, 2004 when she sold to Peter D. Kelleher.
Peter Kelleher began renovations to the interior of the house in 2006. He had hoped to enlarge the home with a rear addition adding another apartment if possible. In the process of removing all the walls in the apartment at #60 much of the construct history was revealed at that time. Original window openings, doorway changes, staircases and a few unknown fire places exposed. There was no foundation under the east end of the house. With the loss of rental income plans stalled. Two new plans to demolish the house and one to build a profession doctors office and a second to put 3 condos on the lot never materialized.
Unfortunately the house was taken and auctioned off to Miami Stuart Realty Trust LLC on Jan. 30, 2009. The house remained vacant for nearly four years before being purchased by Dundee Station LLC on Aug. 14, 2012. The house was deemed unsafe by the building department and condemned. The home came down on August 21 & 22, 2012. The lot was landscaped and seeded and continues to be maintained.
The Preservation Commission was able to photograph the interior spaces and draw floor plans of the home before demolition. Photographs were also taken during the two days the structure was razed.
Tenants of 60 & 62 Essex Street
1995 - #62 - Margaret C. Turner - bartender
1972 - #60 - Dennis M. & Diane A Traynor
1968 - #60 - Catherine Marcille, born 1910 housewife
1960 - #60 - Ralph & Janice Heselton
1955-59 - #60 - Ina Auchterlonie
1943 - #60 - James H. Eldridge
1932 - #62 - Alexander & Ina Auchterlonie - Tyer Rubber Co.
1929 - #60 - George & Mary Buss,- flax dresser, Elizabeth Buss - Telephone Operator
1929 - #62 - Frank A. Goodwin - Laborer
#62 Amanda J. McCarthy age 76
#62 Catherine C. McCarthy age 39 - Operative
1901 - #62 - William M. Clark - watchman
Essex Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Dundee Station LLC – Aug. 14, 2012 – b. 13068 p. 108
Miami Stuart Realty Trust LLC – Jan. 30, 2009 – b. 11480 p. 223
US Bank National Association, trustees
New Century Mortgage Corp. – Dec. 12, 2008 - b. 11446 p. 249
Peter D. Kelleher – Dec. 22, 2004 – b. 9279 p. 231 mtg
Peter D. Kelleher – Apr. 9, 2004 – b. 8705 p. 119
Ella C. Cargill by probate will, David Cargill died March 2, 1978
David & Ella C. Cargill - June 10, 1977 - bk. 1312 pg. 741
Joseph S & Esther J. Auchterlonie - Feb. 26,1973 - bk. 1212 pg. 758
Joseph S. Auchterlonie - Oct. 10, 1970 - bk. 1164 pg. 93
Joseph S. & Mary Auchterlonie - Oct. 22, 1959 - bk. 907 pg. 271
Joseph S. & Mary Auchterlonie - Nov. 25, 1955 - bk. 829 pg. 2 - $3100.
Hughina (Ina) Auchterlonie - March 19, 1945
Alexander & Hughina (Ina) Auchterlonie - Aug. 5, 1933 - bk. 571 pg. 266
Indian Ridge Co. Inc. - Nov. 15, 1932 - bk. 567 pg. 266
Virgil D. Harrington - June 7, 1932 - bk. 564 pg. 546
Ludlow Manufacturing Associates - Aug. 31, 1928 - bk. 542 pg. 390
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. Feb. 1, 1927 - bk. 529 pg. 583
(name changed to Andover Homes Inc.)
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. - Aug. 14, 1894 - $1200. - bk. 134 pg. 476
Higgins Estate - family heirs. 18__, - bk. 124 pg. 476
Richard & Maria Donohue, Gardner, MA; Annie Higgins, single woman, Andover;
Michael T. & Eliza Walsh, Andover; James & Sarah Nolan, Weymouth;
Joseph W. Higgins, Andover; David Higgins, Boston; John Higgins, Andover
David Higgins, laborer - Oct. 18, 1853 - $650 - bk. 485 lf. 204 Salem Deeds
Rogers Blood, laborer - Nov. 2, 1846, - $800 - bk. 373 lf. 227 Salem Deeds
Zeruiah Griffin widow, Estate., Thomas C. Foster executor.
Jonathan Griffin who died on July 13, 1813 at the age of 41.
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Abbot Village Mills Worker Housing|
|Present Use||residential, 2-family|
|Original Use||mill worker housing|
|Construction Date||1800 - 1820|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage attached|
|Major Alterations||Razed August 21 & 22, 2012|
|Demolition Details||August 21 & 22, 2012|
|Acreage||less than one acre; 8,800 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 110'|
|Map and parcel||55-6|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 5/2014|