Simplified Queen Anne style home.
Attractive stained glass and oval glazed door panels. textural elements now covered in vinyl siding
Themes: Architectural, community development.
One of three very similar 2-family houses (#56-58, 60-62, 64-66).
Oct. 23, 1874 Andover Advertiser - AA – John H. Flint is at work on a new avenue leading through his land from Elm Street to Carmel lane.
John H. Flint was a local businessman who married Frances Tyer and lived at 8 Elm St. Flint owned most of the land near his home and created Maple Ave in 1874. The property once was part of the Locke estate at 70 Elm St. Flint sold this property on the west side of Maple Ave to John L. Smith on July 17, 1877. John L Smith's home was at 55 High St. and his property extended to Maple Ave and included the lots 54-56, 60-62 and 64-66 Maple Ave created later.
The 1906 map of Maple Ave reveals that this two family home had been built on John L. Smith's lot. Smith sold this lot to Samuel Waller on Sept. 26, 1912.The property contained 245 ft. on Maple Ave. or all three lots A, B, & C on the 1919 map #351. Nine months later, Waller sells to Franklin B. Davis, wife Mary A. of Lawrence, MA on June 10, 1913. Davis owns six years then selling to George E. Boddy, wife Lillian, of Lawrence. Boddy sells to Maurice J. Curran lot B ( #60-#62) on Sept. 1, 1919 and lot C on Apr. 30, 1920 (#54-#56). Boddy retains lot A at #64-#66.
Maurice J. Curran was business partners with John Joyce under the name Curran & Joyce who bottled soda water and ginger ale and later were liquor distributors. Curran and Joyce lived at 250 North Main Street in the "Croft" the former mansion of George W.W. Dove. These were income properties for Curran. With the death of Curran, the two properties were sold off separately. Edwin & Elsa Hillerstrum purchased the house on Oct. 20, 1938 and owned for 27 years. They lived in #62. Edwin is listed as a Paper Maker in Lawrence in the 1943 directory. in #60 are Robert W. & Mary F. Lawson. Robert is employed as a chauffeur (truck driver) for the Railway Express in Lawrence. After the death of Edwin his widow Elsa sold to Thomas M. Fallon on May 20, 1965.
Thomas Fallon then co-owned with Mary A. Potvin,Mary M. Sullivan on Aug. 25, 1992. Thomas died on May 3, 1993 and Mary A. Potvin and Mary M. Sullivan then sold to Thomas C. & Lisa A. Barnes on July 30, 1993. Barnes owned five year then selling to curren owners Alger & Souci Rollins on AUg. 8, 1997.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps 1882 and 1906
Andover Valuation Schedule 1920
Map plan #351 - Sept. 1919 - Maurice Curran Lot C
John H. Flint - 1874
John L. Smith - July 13, 1877 - b. 47 p. 566 - $850 - High St. & Maple Ave
Samuel Waller, Wife Nellie A. - Sept. 29, 1912 - b. 322 p. 133
Franklin B. Davis, wife Mary A. - June 10, 1913 - b. 331 p. 74
George E. Boddy, wife Lillian - June 7, 1919 - b. 401 p. 138
Maurice J. Curran - Apr. 30, 1920 - b. 416 p. 295
Maurice J. Curran estate, Margaret Curren, Daniel Murphy Extrs. -Probate
Edwin & Elsa Hillerstrum- Oct. 20, 1938 - b. 618 p. 186
Edwin Hillerstrum estate, heir Elsa Hillerstrum
Thomas M. Fallon - May 20, 1965 - b. 1034 p. 49
Thomas Fallon, Mary A. Potvin,Mary M. Sullivan - Aug. 25, 1992 - b. 3530 p. 322
Thomas Fallon estate, Mary A. Potvin, Mary M. Sullivan - May 3, 1993
Thomas C. & Lisa A. Barnes - July 30, 1993 - b. 3795 p. 180
Alger & Soucu Rollins - Aug. 8, 1997 - b. 4815 p. 255
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Construction Date||1907 - 1914|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Foundation||brick & stone|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Major Alterations||vinyl siding and replacement windows|
|Acreage||less than one acre; 7,800 SF; approx. frontage 55'|
|Map and parcel||38-158|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 4/18/2018|