NRDIS NRMRA LHD
The Ballardvale Machine Shop Corp., John Marland, President, purchased much of the property along Center & Marland St. in 1847. They then sub- divided the Pole Hill land into house lots and began selling off parcels in 1847. A map of the Ballard Vale Machine Shop Company holdings was drawn out by Franklin Darracott in 1848.
This property, numbered Lots #10, #12, #16 on the plan of land. John Marland & John Howe Jr. of the Marland Mills in Ballardvale auctioned off several lots in the Village on Wednesday, July 28, 1847. The auctioneers were Loring, Abbot and Porter of Boston.
A John Howard Nicholas (Nichols) purchased six adjoining lots on June 1, 1864 from David Boynton. The Three fronting on Center St. , #10, #12, #16 (sometimes referred to as Central St. in deeds), and three fronted on Marland St. #17, #19, and #21. Lots #16 & #17 south boundary lines was on Howe St. (sometimes called Cross St), laid out by never built. A paper street today.
Nichols later sold his lots to Charles H. Marland for $500. on October 31, 1882. No mention of buildings on any lot in the deeds. Charles Marland had the two family built at 17 Marland between 1884 - 1885 and the apartment building at 60 Center St. in 1884. The 1884 map does not show the house at #17 Marland but it is noted on the 1885 Birdseye map of Ballardvale. Charles H. Marland lived at 3 Chester St. (see 3 & 5 Chester for Marland history.) Charles' wife Laura inherited the property and with her death son Charles Northey Marland purchased the properties which also included the apartment house at 60 Center St. for $3500. These properties would remain with the Marland family until selling to Thomas Chadwick on Sept. 4, 1935. They were all investment rental income property.
Thomas Chadwick and wife Etta Elizabeth owned the properties for eleven years selling to Nunzio & Antoinette Zappla of Lawrence, MA on Nov. 22, 1944. It would be the Zappala family that sub-divided the parcels in 1966 leaving lots #16, 17 and 19 as parcel 2 on Marland St. and lots 12, 14 and 21 as parcel 1 at 60 Center St. which included the multi apartment building of six units.
Nunzio & Antoinette sold off the apartment house at 60 Center St. to Anthony J. & Mabel H. Motolo on Nov. 17, 1966. Nunzio died on June 15, 1967 and his widow Antoinette would then sell 17 Marland St. to Alfred & Lucille Tallini on July 17, 1968.
Anthony J. & Mabel H. Motolo placed the property into a trust on 1969 serving as Trustees of the Mabel H. Motollo Relty Trust. The Trust was later changed to the 60 Center St Condominium Trust with the conversion from apartments to condominiums in 2006.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover, Sarah Loring Bailey 1880
Andover, A Century of Change, Eleanor Richardson 1995
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman
Andover Historical Society files, church records.
Ballard Vale Machine Shop map 1848 - lots #17 & #19
Andover maps, 1852, 1872, 1884, 1888, 1906
Plan #5558 - Sept. 12, 1966 - Zappla sub-divide land
David Boynton, wife Martha -
John Howard Nichols (Nicholas), wife Charlotte P. - June 1, 1864 - b. 672 leaf 157 $400. (lots #12,14, 16, 17, 19, 21)
Charles H. Marland - Oct. 31, 1882 - b. 70 p. 27 - $500. (lots #12,14, 16, 17, 19, 21)
Charles H. Marland estate, Laura E. Marland heir -
Laura E. Marland estate, Clover Stone, Trustee - Jan. 25, 1923 - Probate
Charles N. Marland - June 12, 1923 - b. 480 p. 521 - $3500
Charles N. Marland estate, heirs, Anna L. Laura N., Charlotte and Edna Marland - probate
Thomas Chadwick - Sept. 4, 1935 - b. 592 p. 263 - (lots #12,14, 16, 17, 19, 21)
Thomas & Ettta Elizabeth Chadwick - May 13, 1944 - b. 663 p. 68
Nunzio & Antoinette Zappla - Nov. 22, 1944 - b. 669 p. 271
Nunzio Zappla estate, Antoinette heir - June 15, 1967 - probate
Anthony J. & Mabel H. Motolo - Nov. 17, 1966 - b. 1072 p. 207
Anthony J. & Mabel H. Motolo - Aug. 21, 1969 - b. 1132 p. 83
Mabel H. Motolo Realty Trust - July 27, 1981 - b.1538 p. 239
60 Center Street Condominium Trust - Apr. 25, 2006 - b. 10190 p. 21
60 Center Street Condominium Trust - 2006 - b. 10210 p. 239
60 Center Street Condominium Trust - Sept. 25, 2006 - b. 10404 p. 219
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Charles H. Marland Tenament Block|
|Present Use||6 Unit Condominiums|
|Original Use||6 unit apartment building|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Condo conversion, 2006, vinyl siding, replacement windows.|
|Map and parcel||157-60A|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 9/20/2016|