The home was built with a front porch that wrapped around the east side of the house. Much of the window trim and gable details have been covered over with vinyl siding, masking the original clapboard and shingle siding.
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village.
This home was not built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. The property was acquired by the American Woolen Co. from William F. Schultz on Sept. 29, 1921. The home was then leased to operatives working in the Shawsheen Mill of the American Woolen Co. The home was most likely painted white with green shutters, if not already that color, to harmonize with the new Village homes built across the street on Haverhill St. and those on Enmore St. and beyond.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the properties in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. Mr. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
This home was built after the property was purchased by Frank Orlando Barton on March 22, 1902. The parcel of land was part of the David Middleton estate, who had his home at 34 Haverhill St. Frank Barton paid $700. for the parcel and he and his wife Mary A. then took a $2500 mortgage to build the home. On Feb. 23, 1904 Frank O. transferred the property to his wife Mary Alice and father John Barton. Frank was employed at the Pacific cotton mill in Lawrence as an overseer. Frank was born April 28, 1855 in Cranston, RI, son of John Barton b. Sept. 1828 in Blacksburg, Virginia and Sarah Rhodes b. in Cranston RI. His father John was a carpenter and moved to Lawrence, MA. Frank worked in the mills, met Mary Alice Houghton, b. Feb. 1856 in Cranston, RI, daughter of James & Alice Houghton. Frank and Mary A. were married on May 9, 1875 in Lawrence. They had three children of which only Grace Blanche Barton, b. March 1884 survived to adulthood. In 1880 they lived with John's parents in Lawrence. After moving to Andover Frank's father lived with him. John O. died on July 20, 1911 age 56 y 2m 22d of an intestinal blockage. Interred at Bellevue Cemetery, Lawrence, MA
Mary A. Barton and daughter Grace continued to live in the home. Grace was a bookkeeper in the mills. Mary A. sold the property on Sept. 30, 1919 to William F. Schultz. Schultz owned just two years then sold to the American Woolen Co.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were Elsworth & Ethel Roby. Elsworth was a laborer.
This house was later sold by the Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. to Alphonse B. & Mary M. Becotte on Jan. 8, 1947. Alphonse was a textile worker with the American Woolen Co.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #33
Map #707 - Sept, 1927 - Enmore St. A.W.Co
Map #4884 - Aug. 5, 1963 - b. Lot C
Moody B. Abbott - land
John Dove - Feb. 17, 1847 - b. 380 leaf 166 - Salem deed
David Middleton - May 30, 1867 - b. 725 leaf 172 - land
David Middleton estate, Joseph A. Smart, Extr. - Sept. 17, 1901 - Probate
Frank Orlando Barton - Mar. 22, 1902 - b. 193 p. 584
John & Mary A .Barton - Feb. 23, 1904 - b. 209 p. 190
Mary A. Barton - Feb. 23, 1904 - b. 222 p. 34 - deed transfer
William F. Schultz - Sept. 30, 1919 - b. 408 p. 525
American Woolen Company - Sept. 29, 1921 - b. 447 p. 344
Textile Realty Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 336 -337
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 (p.90)
Alphonse B. & Mary M. Becotte - Jan. 8, 1947 - b. 693 p. 368
Villu & Doris B. Vilnit - June 27, 1957 - b. 857 p. 11
Robert F. & Patricia J. M. Acciard - Aug. 23, 1961 - b. 943 p. 438
Charles E. & Kathleen M. Francis, Jr. - Sept. 5, 1967 - b. 1090 p. 175
Veto A. & Christine M. Casarano - May 19, 1971 - b. 1171 p. 195
Craig C. Murphy and Bruce Webster - Mar. 18, 1877 - b. 1304 p. 432
Frederick P. & Patricia A. Manninen - Oct. 7, 1983 - b. 1732 p. 257
Boston Five Cents Savings Bank - Nov. 17, 1987 - b. 2628 p. 73
Collective Federal Savings Bank - Apr. 30, 1992 - b. 3464 p. 254
Thomas M. & Carlene E. Darby; Mark D. & Carlene D. Halloway July 23, 1992 - b. 3508 p. 189
Thomas M. & Carlene E. Darby and Carlene D. Halloway - Aug. 29, 1997 - b. 4861 p. 234
William J. & Carlene D. [Halloway] Hackett - Sept. 21, 2000 - b. 5867 p. 279
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Frank O. & Mary Barton House|
|Present Use||residence - 2 family|
|Construction Date||1902 - 1903|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl siding, replacement windows, original porch on east side removed, gable peak details covered by vinyl siding|
|Map and parcel||19-42|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/17/2015|