This property was once part of the large 75 acre farm holdings of Abel & Paschal Abbott who lived in 53 and 51 red Spring Rd. houses respectively. The Abbott brothers established the Woolen Mill at the bottom of the hill in 1813 and continued in business until the market took a down turn in 1838. The mill property was then sold to Smith and Dove Manufacturing Co. in 1843 and their operation moved up from Frye Village
Several owners held the two properties but eventually Peter D. & Abby J. Smith purchased a 73 acre parcel when he bought the former Paschal Abbott house, then John Chandler's farm at 51 Red Spring Rd. (Mineral St. until 1904)
Peter D. Smith parceled off a few house lots along the lane and at the corner of Red Spring Rd.on Aug. 20, 1895. Thomas David purchased the lot at #61 and William Angus bought the corner lot adjoining at #65.
Aug. 16, 1895 AT - Real Estate Transactions p1 – Justin E. Clark is to build a two-tenement house on his vacant lot on Mineral Street. The batters are up and work will begin right away.
Thomas David, overseer at the Smith & Dove Mills, has also bought a house lot on Mineral Street adjoining the Bruce property and owned by Peter D. Smith.
Sept. 27, 1895 AT - P4 AV – Contractor Sewell has Justin Clarks’s new house shingled and about clapboarded.
Thomas David has decided not to erect a house on his land this winter.
April 17, 1896 Andover Townsman, (AT) p1 Asa O. Sewell, contractor & builder contracted to build two new houses on Mineral Street, one for Thomas David and one for William Angus. The houses will be built after the contractors special plans for modern dwelling houses. These houses include all the latest and best fittings, and the contractor delivers them complete ready for occupancy.
p4 advertisement- Asa O. Sewell 34 High Street 34 High Street – drawing of house – [The design is the house at 65 Red Spring Road]
p.5 Abbott Village. David Leslie has followed in the footsteps of several of his neighbors and purchased a house lot of Peter D. Smith on the new street, cut through the Chandler land. [Moraine St.]
Thomas David moved into the house in the fall of 1896. The David family lived here for 24 years then sold to John C. Sullivan on June 1, 1920 who then transferred the property to George F. Smith, Pres. of Smith & Dove Co. Smith then deeded the property over to the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. on Dec. 23, 1921.
John C. Sullivan then purchased the property for his family in April 1922 and transferred the deed through, Augustine P. McMorrow, to his wife Robina (Sadie) R. Sullivan on April 22, 1931. Robina Sullivan died on Feb. 11, 1942 and John R. Sullivan inherited the house by will as Legatee of Sadie Sullivan his wife. John worked in Lawrence as a shipper. The property remained with the Sullivan family for 36 years before it was sold to Lester F. & Frances W. Dixon in July 1958. The Dixon family had the house for five years then sold and moved to 7 Boutwell Rd. in West Andover.
James R. & Anne E. McMurrough purchased the property in April 1963. They were from Rhode Island had been renting the house across the street at #64 from Beatrice Henderson. Jim was a salesman and Anne a teacher. The McMurrough's continue to call this home and last year (2013) celebrated fifty years in the home.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories
Peter D. Smith - land
Thomas David - Aug. 20, 1895 - b. 142 p. 326
John C. Sullivan - June 1, 1920 - b. 425 p. 318
George F. Smith, Pres. of Smith & Dove Co. - June 1, 1920 - b. 425 p. 319
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. - Dec. 23, 1921 - b. 453 p. 64
John C. Sullivan - Apr. 14, 1922 - b. 456 p. 586
Augustine P. McMorrow - Apr. 22, 1931 - b. 558 p. 361
Robina (Sadie) R. wife of John C. Sullivan - Apr. 22, 1931 - b. 558 p. 362
Robina Sullivan estate, died Feb. 11, 1942 - Probate #202307
John R. Sullivan, by will of Legatee Sadie Sullivan
Lester F. & Frances W. Dixon - July 29, 1958 - b. 877 p. 165
James R. & Anne E. McMurrough - Apr. 30, 1963 - b. 984 p. 65
|Street||Red Spring Rd|
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Thomas David House|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||Asa O. Sewell, contractor|
|Wall/Trim||asbestos covers clapboard & shingle|
|Map and parcel||72-34|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 5/2014|