Themes- Agricultural, Architectural and Community Development.
William Hackett original owner.
William Hackett was born Oct. 8, 1813 in Brookfield, NH son of William & Elizabeth (Thurston) Hackett and brother to John Hackett at 52 Porter Rd. William purchased his property from his brother John on on Jan. 3, 1849 of 7 acres 178 rods and a portion of the Stimpson farm on April 28, 1850 of 19 acres 80 rods. His Valuation in 1850 was Dwelling house and barn $450, 21 acres of land $840 = $1290. The 1850 Census list William and his mother Elizabeth in the home. William married at Danvers, MA on May 29, 1851 to Eliza Ann Smith b. 1820 dau. of John & Elizabeth “Betsy” Smith. William and Eliza had three children: William H. b. 1852 and twins Edward and Albert born 1866.
In 1860 Valuation, William Hackett House, Barn and 21 acres = $1355 Farm stock $34. William sold to Charles W. Hayward, wife Eliza J. on Mar. 7, 1867 and moved to 331 South Main Street. (Turner Farm).
Dr. Alfred Poore, May 8, 1863: "called on William, son of William and Elizabeth Hackett, who says he bought his land with 21 acres of John Marland few years before he built house 1850, and they have resided in Andover since day after they were married,on May 30,  1851" . Marland bought land of Andrew B. Stimpson in 1844 at 61 Porter Rd. Marland became insolvent in 1849 and his holdings were auctioned off. John Hackett purchased the Stimpspn land on the south side of Porter Rd. then sold to his brother William.
Charles W. Hayward, wife Eliza J. purchased the property on Mar. 7, 1867 and held for 10 years then sold to Peter Shevlin on July 17, 1877. The deed incorrectly recorded his name as Peter Shaveling in error, which was later corrected. Shevlin owned for 30 years before selling on July 24, 1907 to Grahame Dove Johnson. The property contained house shed and barn with the 20.9 acres. Grahame D. Johnson was the grandson of John Dove, co-founder of the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. in Andover. His mother was Mary A. Dove who married Rev. Francis Howe Johnson. They built a large house on Elm St. now called Johnson Acres and Johnson Rd.
Grahame D. Johnson was born Leamington Hastings, in Warwickshire, England on Oct. 8, 1870 when his father was teaching there. Graham attended Phillips Academy, then Harvard 1888-91, Harvard Medical School 1891-1896 with a degree as Medical Doctor. Grahame married on June 28, 1894 to Julia Keim Weidman, b. Feb. 5, 1871 in Reading, PA daughter of Dr. Wm. Murray & Mary May (Keim) Weidman. In 1907 they purchased the property at 62 Porter Rd. They had two children; son Murray b. 1902 in NYC died 1903 in Paris, France and daughter Mary May Kein b. Apr. 1, 1910 in Andover.
The Barn is said to have windows originally from Free Church when it stood on Railroad Street, and previously, were windows of old Methodist Church which was converted into first Free Church and moved from Main Street.
As John Dove was a charter member of the Free Church in Andover, it is most likely that Grahame purchased the windows of the old Free Church when it was dismantled in 1908 and had them installed in his barn.
Grahame had a private practice but was also a gentleman farmer. He was an imposing figure at 6' 31/2" tall, blue eyes, brown hair and mustache. By 1920 the Johnson family is living in Philadelphia, and Grahame has been hospitalized. Sadly he drowned in the Schuylkill River on Nov. 11, 1922. Julia and daughter moved in with her sister. Julia died in Aug. 1929. The property remained in the Johnson estate and was rented as income for daughter Mary May Kein Johnson.
Fred E. Cheever, was the Administrator for the Johnson estate and sold the property to Walter M. & Elizabeth B. Sullivan on July 26, 1948.
1856 map: W. Hackett
1852 map: W. Hackett
1850 tax list: John Hackett - 21 acres, $850, dwelling house & barn $450, farm stock $70
1906 atlas: P.S. Shevlin
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Town of Andover: Real Estate Valuation, 1900
Poore, Dr. Alfred: "Geneological - Historical Visitation of Andover in year 1863" Essex Institute Historical Coll. Vol. 48.
Interview with Geneve Killorin
Map #3499 - April 1959 - Karl Kiloran
Peter F. & Mary P. (Blunt) Shed
Andrew B. Stimpson, wife Mary Ann – Nov. 15, 1837 – b. 303 p. 90
John Marland - "Stimpson Farm" Aug. 31, 1844 - b. 347 p. 40
John Marland, Insolvent, Jeremiah L. Young assignee - Dec. 1849
John Hackett, wife Abby - Dec. 1, 1846 - b. 385 leaf 85 - $1168.12 - 15a 92 rods
John Hackett, wife Abby - Apr. 23, 1850 - b. 429 leaf 169-171 – Stimpson farm land
William Hackett – Jan. 3, 1849 – b. 424 leaf 300 – 7 a 176 rods - land
William Hackett – Apr. 28, 1850 – b. 429 leaf 171-172 - 19 acres 80 rods land
Charles W. Hayward, wife Eliza J. - Mar. 7, 1867 - b. 722 leaf 48 - $3000 – 21 acres w/blds
Peter Shevlin (Shaveling in error) - July 17, 1877 - b. 48 p. 79 - 21 acres
Grahame Dove Johnson - July 24, 1907 - b. 249 p. 582 - 20.9 acres
Julia Keim Weidman Johnson estate -
Fred E. Cheever, Admins. July 23, 1948 - probate #224079
Walter M. & Elizabeth B. Sullivan - July 26, 1948 - b. 713 p. 400
Phylis S. Simpson - Nov. 1, 1956 - b. 845 p. 105
Phylis S. (Simpson) Barton -
Jerome E. & Joyce B. Andrews Jr. - June 25, 1959 - b. 896 p. 407
Thomas Jone & Betty G. Mobbs - Aug. 4, 1982 - b. 1596 p. 108
Christopher W. & Stephanie M. Deady - Oct. 1, 2013 - b. 13654 p. 119
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Hackett, William House|
|Original Use||farmhouse & residence|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, Alfred Poore/njs style|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||barn, garage|
|Major Alterations||porch and dormers added; 1993 added 2-car garage, loft, swimming pool, shed, child's jungle gym|
|Acreage||1.69 acres; 73,478 sq. ft., 220' frontage|
|Map and parcel||77-26|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 2/6/2015|