Formerly #68?, Goff family
Historical significance: According to 1906 map of Andover, the building may have been #68, which would mean the number addresses have been changed. Other number changes on this street bear this out. Owned by the Goff family.
This house lot in 1900 was part of the triangle created by Elm, Summer and Whittier Street. Whittier Street was named after Nathaniel Whittier (see 10 Summer St) but when first constructed through to Elm St., in 1856, was a continuation of Punchard Ave. so called until renamed (1904). The Whittier house at 10 Summer St. is not on 1830 Dorman map. The property was purchased by Andover businessmen, John H. Campion, a merchant grocer, Barnett Rodgers, a Realtor and Jacob W. Barnard, shoe manufacturer.
In April and May of 1900, Whittier estate was broken into 18 different house lots ("very desirable lots in Andover Centre") and sold to individual parties by J. H. Campion, through Barnett Rogers agency. "Included in purchase is a two story and a half, double tenement house occupied by Miss Whittier, former owner of place, and Mrs. Lizzie Dundas. Both these tenants will retain their residence" (Andover Townsman).
This parcel at 62 Whittier St. was two lots from the Whittier estate, Lots #10 & #11 was purchased by David M. May on June 1, 1904. Laura F. Goff, wife of Frederick B. Goff purchased lot 10 from May on June 16, 1904. The lots comprised 6000 sq. ft. and had 50' fronting on Whittier St. The Goffs had the house built and then purchased the empty lot #11, to the north on June 20, 1908. Frederick Berry Goff was born on Oct. 19, 1872 in Andover, son of Henry & Martha (Pettigrew) Goff. Fred married on June 15, 1899 to Laura Fulton Farnum b. Dec. 1872 in North Andover, dau. Benjamin Holt & Nancy (Hamden) Farnum. Fred was an accountant and bookkeeper. They had one daughter Beatrice Laura Goff. b. 1903. The 1910 Census list them at 68 Whittier St. also boarding are Catherine Sullivan age 33 a servant for a private family and Miss Annie M. Downs, age 40, a Fifth grade teacher and Principal at John Dove & Samuel Jackson Schools.
Emma F. Moses of Lawrence purchased the property on Dec. 27, 1911 and remained in her possession until her death. Her daughter Frances Moses, sole heir, then sold the property to the Poland family on April 28, 1923. The Polands would own for 33 years. They had rented an apartment at 51 Red Spring Rd. prior to moving here. The house was co-owned by six members of the Poland family: William Poland, wife Edna, John Poland, James S. Poland, Catherine (Poland) Bicknell, Alexina "Jean" Poland and Helen Poland.
Theodore C. & Irene M. Burtt purchased the house on June 24, 1955. The following year they acquired an adjoining lot made up of lots 8 & 9 on May 7, 1956. Ted & Irene had three children, Ted C. Jr., AHS Class 1961, Douglas A. AHS Class 1964 and Katheryn I. AHS Class 1967. The Burtt family owned for 21 years then sold to Norman P. & Judith A. Merrill on Feb. 2, 1976.
James G. & Diane (Fagan) Affleck then purchased the home on July 9, 1982 and continue as owners of record in 2017.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories
Goldsmith, Bessie; "Townswoman's Andover", 1964, pg. 100 - 101
Maps of Andover, 1830, 1872, 1884, 1888, 1906
Andover Townsman; 19 Feb 1942, 4 May 1900
Mary W. Dickinson & Hannah E. Whittier - 1900
John H. Campion - Apr. 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 580
John H. Campion, Barnett Rodgers & Jacob W. Barnard - Apr. 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 581
John H. Campion & Barnett Rogers
David M. May - June 1, 1904 - b. 212 p. 557 - lots #10 & #11
Laura F. Goff, wife of Frederick B. - June 16, 1904 - lot #10
Laura F. Goff, wife of Frederick B. - June 20, 1908 - lot #11
Emma F. Moses - Dec. 27, 1911 - b. 33 p. 96 - lots 10 & 11 w/blds
Emma F. Moses estate, heir Frances Moses - Probate
William, John, James S., Alexina, & Helen Poland, & Catherine Poland Bicknell - Apr. 28, 1923 - b. 477 p. 38
John Poland estate, Alexina "Jean" Poland, Admx. - 1952 - Probate
Dorothy Verdolotti - Dec. 17, 1952 - b. 770 pgs. 485 - 487 - deed transfers
Alexina "Jean" & Helen Poland, Catherine P. Bicknell, Wm. Poland - Dec. 17, 1952 - b. 770 p.488
Theodore C. & Irene M. Burtt - June 24, 1955 - b. 815 p. 331 - parcel 1 - lots 10&11
Theodore C. & Irene M. Burtt - May 7, 1956 - b. 832 p. 470 - parcel 2 - lots 8 & 9
Norman P. & Judith A. Merrill - Feb. 2, 1976 - b. 1275 p. 702 - two parcels
James G. & Diane (Fagan) Affleck - July 9, 1982 - b. 1589 p. 2
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Frederick B. & Laura F. Goff house|
|Construction Date||1904 - 1905|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Acreage||0.275 acre, 12000 sq. ft.|
|Map and parcel||38-249|
|Recorded by||Sean Craft, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||10 Jun 1991, 3/26/2017|