Exterior Main block 10'4" x 12'3", including lean to 18'6" x 10', 8 high
Mr. Grant present owner
1 story 19th c. shoe or cobbler shop; gable roof, end lean to with shed roof
interior: 1975-77 it had some wooden benches and lasts intact. One of three remaining outbuildings for a circa 1700 farmstead. Osgood Road was originally main route to Tewksbury.
Thomas Blanchard (1674-1759) was a cordwainer or shoemaker. Shop thought to be built by a grandson. Blanchard family sold to Abiel Upton (1755-1831) in 1792. Uptons were also cobblers. Typical shoe shop of a now rare type that was once common in rural farms.
Director of Preservation studies Boston University, Richard Candel, 12/86, visual analysis. AHS of records that Mr. and Mrs. Glen Grant, 1946 to the present, owners, restored the cobbler's shop. Contents of shop operated by Abiel Augustus Upton, died 1921 were purchased by an agent for Henry Ford
See also Barn survey.
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Cobbler's Shop|
|Present Use||dismantled 1988|
|Original Use||cobbler shop|
|Source||see 62 Osgood Street|
|Architect/Builder||grandson of Thomas Blanchard|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||This is one of four outbuildings located on the property of 62 Osgood St.|
|Move Details||to be sold by contractor Mark Phillips, Rowley, MA|
|Map and parcel||178-2|
|Recorded by||Barbara Thibault|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society|