Four Square -Prairie Style - Classic box type body of the house with hip roof. Simple but efficient design.
Popular in the Mid-West.
This property once belonged to Richard Alfred Ward and was sub-divided into 13 house lots in July 1926. Richard Ward was the son of Anthony and Sarah Ward who lived across the road in the ancient farmhouse at #88 Lowell St. when purchased in 1879. His brother George D. lived next door at #78. Richard built his home at #71 Lowell St. in 1885 on land he had purchased from John Cornell on Feb. 20, 1885.. It contained 18 acres in two parcels. (two parcels of land north of Lowell St.
Richard was a milkman and ran a dairy in Lawrence until retiring 1905. He married Mary E. Abbott and the couple had three children; Dora A., Mildred G. and Paul. The two daughters would be given the property in 1939 as two separate parcels that had been laid out for a future development. Mildred and husband Leveret Putnam lived in her parents former house at #71 Lowell as did their daughter Mary Putnam. Dora Abbott Ward lived with her father Richard in this home at #63. Mary E. Abbott had died on Feb. 19, 1921. Richard died on Jan. 21, 1946 and Dora then sold this property to Gusta H. & Elizabeth Larson on Aug. 29, 1947.
A property map #6511 shows the house and two sheds to the rear of the property. The garage was actually on the property of the Ward owned home next door at #65. A property realignment and right of way was deeded to the Larsons on Nov. 10, 1971 - b. 1183 p. 27
The Larsons owned the home for 29 years then sold to Lawrence J. & Deborah A. Halleran on Oct. 13, 1976. Lawrence quit claimed the deed to Deborah on April 17, 1979. The current owners of record are Deborah Halleran and Frederick Ursitti Jr. on May 12, 1999.
1965 -Larson, Gusta H. Eliz H. & Eliz A.
1957 '' '' '' ''
1947 '' '' '' ''
1943 Ward, Richard A.
1928-29 Ward, Richard A.
1926 Ward, Richard A.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
West Parish Burial Records
Andover Street Directories
See Maps #6511, #7062 and #13470
John Cornell – two parcels of land north of Lowell St.
Richard Ward – Feb. 20, 1885 – bk. 80 pg. 19 - $525. two parcels 18 acres
Dora A. Ward - May 23, 1939 - b. 623 p. 502
Gusta H. & Elizabeth Larson - Aug. 29, 1947 - b. 701 p. 549
Gusta H. & Elizabeth Larson - Nov. 10, 1971 - b. 1183 p. 27 - R/W parcel 2
Lawrence J. & Deborah A. Halleran on Oct. 13, 1976
Lawrence J. Halleran - April 17, 1979 - b. 1367 p. 364 - quit claim
Deborah A. Halleran - April 17, 1979 - b. 1367 p. 364
Deborah Halleran and Frederick Ursitti Jr.- May 12, 1999 - b.5431 p. 241
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Ward - Larson House|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Map and parcel||69-2|
|Recorded by||Joan Wilde, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||12/98, 02/21/2006, 05/29/2015|