63 Maple Ave (formerly #31) 38-176 –
This property at 63 Maple Ave was first numbered #31 Maple St. The entire street was renumbered in 1928 to the current numeration.
Oct. 23, 1874 Andover Advertiser - AA – John H. Flint is at work on a new avenue leading through his land from Elm Street to Carmel lane.
This parcel lot was purchased on July 22, 1897 by brothers Frank P. Higgins & Fred W. Higgins from the heirs of Henry A. Bodwell. Bodwell purchased his parcel (#37) in 1883 from John H. Flint which included all the land on the east side of Maple Ave from #29 to Walnut St.
Frank & Fred were two of eight children of Henry C. & Eliza A. (Abbott) Higgins who lived on High St. This lot was purchased as investment property. The 1906 map of Andover center shows an empty lot on Maple Ave. Frank Partridge Higgins was born Feb. 15, 1870. He had several jobs, a dryer in a woolen Mill, a baker and later superintendent of an insurance company. Half the property was deeded to their sister Bertha Osgood Higgins (b. July 21, 1875).
The property was sold to Dominick & Ellen Dowd on Oct. 23, 1912 and contained 19,410 sq. ft. The deed came with a restriction. No house could be constructed less than 44 ft. from the street.
Dominick Dowd was born in 1868 in Ireland, son of James & Bridget (McDonough) Dowd. He immigrated to America in 1891 and settled in Lawrence. Dominick married on April 24, 1899 in Lawrence to Ellen Byrne b. 1871 dau. of Thomas & Honor (Flynn) Byrne. They had two children, Dominick J. b. 1899 and Mary b. 1912 - d. 1912. Dominick worked as a rubber worker for Tyer Rubber Co.
They sold the property to John H. & Ellen D. McNally on July 3, 1919. John was born in Massachusetts in 1864 and was a weaver for M.T. Stevens woolen mill. He was a Veteran and attended St. Augustine's Church. John died in 1947 and Ellen the following year in 1948.
Bodwell heirs, Emma
Frank P. Higgins & Fred W. Higgins – July 22, 1897 – b. 156 p. 257-258
Bertha O. Higgins July 22, 1897 – b.156 p. 257 – 258 - ½ ownership
William H. Higgins & Fred W. Higgins – June 29, 1898 – b. 163 p. 360
Frank P. Higgins – Nov. 2, 1905 – b. 226 p. 25 - ½ ownership
Bertha O. Higgins and Frank P. Higgins - Mar. 7, 1906 – b. 234 p. 383
Dominick & Ellen Dowd – Oct. 23, 1912 – b. 323 p. 379
John H. McNally – July 3, 1919 – b. 403 p. 273
John H. McNally estate, Elizabeth D. McNally Adm.
Hugh & Jennie E. Fraser – July 8, 1947 – b. 699 p. 173-174
Jennie E. Fraser estate, Roland H. Sherman, Extr. – Dec. 5, 1960 Probate
George F. & Edith J. Snyder – Dec. 20, 1960 – b. 930 p. 223
George F. Snyder estate, d. Sept. 9, 1990 heir Edith J. Snyder
Virginia A. Busby & Mary A. Connolly – Sept. 19, 1993 – b. 3833 p. 85
Michael S. & Dianne (Busby) Fields – Aug. 23, 1999 – b. 5531 p. 250
Aaron L. Schwartz & Lisa C. Smith – Oct. 29, 2010 – b. 12255 p. 263
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Dominick & Ellen Dowd House|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards/wood shingles/vinyl covered|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl siding, replacement windows|
|Acreage||0.223a – 9705 sq.ft.|
|Map and parcel||38-176|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 10/22/2019|