#63 Park Street – (39-100) 0.318 acre
This lot of land was once owned by Hannah W. Foster, wife of Joseph W. Foster. The parcel was sold to Thomas Howell for $850 on May 19, 1883 and comprised one acre and 5906 sq. feet of land. Howell then sold a portion of the property to Frank A. Dinsmore on July 18, 1883.
The portion of the building fronting on Park St. is the original Dinsmore shop built in 1885.
April 11, 1884 – AA - "Frank A. Dinsmore is about to build a cottage house on Park Street. Contractor A.C. Richardson." (#65 Park St.)
June 2, 1887 AA F.A. Dinsmore Furniture repair – Shop next east to Bakery, Park Street.
Nov. 2, 1888 p. 1 AT – F. A. Dinsmore has improved his facilities on Park St. for carrying out his line of business by erecting a roof over his platform, so that carpets in process of cleaning can secure from exposure to weather. He has also convenient rooms for storing the carpets and for making over mattresses.
Nov. 6, 1891 AT p1 – F. A. Dinsmore is about to have a new building erected on Park Street. John McCarthy is putting in the foundation, and Brainard Cummings will do the wood work. It will be a two story building, the lower part to be used for Mr. D’s business and the upper for a tenement.
Dec. 11, 1891 AT p1 – Dinsmore building – basement for workroom, first floor store, with second hand furniture, Second floor dwellings, attic excellent for furniture storage. A elevator will connect the several floors
August 12, 1892 AT The Andover Custom Laundry will soon be located in new quarters. Mr. Hodges having hired the new building on Park Street owned by F. A. Dinsmore. [Dinsmore owns a new and used furniture store] The building now used as the laundry will be moved to Park Street, the land having been staked out for it this side of the Snow barn.
Auction business will be good tomorrow afternoon. Besides the Waterman auction, there will also be another at F.A. Dinsmore’s on Park Street, when all his new and second-hand furniture will be sold, as the building has been let and must be cleared out at once. Mr. Dinsmore will continue at attend to furniture repairing, carpet cleansing, etc
Sept. 9, 1892 AT - S. L. Hodges of Andover Custom Laundry, has moved his business to the building owned and recently vacated by F. A. Dinsmore on Park St.
July 7, 1893 AT - Frank H. Dinsmore – purchased of S. L. Hodges the Andover Custom Laundry on Park Street. Mr. Dinsmore has arranged with T. Murphy, the baker, to have orders left at his store on Main St. It will be known here after as the Andover Steam Laundry. (condensed article)
Aug. 23, 1895 AT - Pitman & Richardson have purchased from F. A. Dinsmore the two story building and steam carpet beating plant on Park St.
Frank A. Dinsmore conveys to Lorin A. Dinsmore in Nov. 1893 land with buildings on the south side of Park Street; 80’ on Park Street, 224’ on east side by land of Helen C. Rea, bordered on the south 80’ by land of David Richardson and on the west 212’ by land formerly of Thomas Howell, wife is Rhoda A. Howell. This lot is a portion of the same lot conveyed to Thomas Howell from Hannah W. Foster and husband Joseph W. Foster.
Two years later Lorin Dinsmore divides and sells off of the lots. The first #63 Park parcel is conveyed to John E. Pitman and fronts on Park Street 39’ 8 ½” on the west by land of Robert Hodge 82’ 6” on the south by land of Richardson, sold today, and Pitman 39’ 8” and on the north by land that Lorin Dinsmore retains 82’ 9” – The deed also carries a right of way of 10’ for Richardson to pass between the property.
The second parcel was conveyed to Adam Clark Richardson between Park and Chestnut Street b. 142 p. 116 the business partner of Pitman.
A third lot conveyed to George H. Poore on Park Street b. 142 p. 120. (#65) [Cottage house]
The 1896 Sanborn map of Park Street has Pitman’s Carpet Beating establishment to the rear of his property at 63 – 65 Park Street. The front building at 63 is a two and half story building listed as Furniture upholstering Bus. Attached to the rear is a one story wagon shed and beyond are one story carpet beating shop, a 1 ½ story naphtha cleaning shop at 63 ½ with and attached rear platform and a to the east a shed.
At #65 is a free standing cottage house. The right of way extended down between the two properties.
Joseph Pitman and Adam Clark Richardson formed a construction business, including a lumber yard business on the site.
Jan. 7, 1898 AT - Richardson & Pitman, carpenters and builders have rented the shop occupied by Brainerd Cummings, on Park Street. Mr. Cummings will conduct his business in the building back of Harriman’s blacksmith shop.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northenr Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser, AA
Andover Townsman, AT
Hannah W. Foster, hus. Joseph W. Foster
Thomas Howell, wife Rhoda - May 19, 1883 -b. 72 p. 28; 1 acre & 5906 sq. ft.
Frank A. Dinsmore, wife Bessie - July 18, 1883 b. 72 p. 199 – lot land
Lorin A. Dinsmore - Nov. 23, 1893 - b. 128 p. 299
John E. Pitman - Sept. 11, 1895 - b. 142 p. 113
John E. Pitman - Oct. 18, 1899 - b. 173 p. 78 – from A. C. Richardson
John E. Pitman estate, Walter Mondale, Trustee.
Ada M. Pitman, Joseph I. Pitman, Norman Pitman
Joseph I. Pitman estate
Josephine Effie Noyes, Helen Louise (Huntington) Chadwick,
and Ada Carolyn Pittaway, trustees
Josephine Effie Noyes – Dec. 13, 1962 – b. 975 p. 465 – notice to purchase business
C. Lincoln Giles – Dec. 2, 1963 – b. 999 p. 314
Channel Building Co., Inc. – Feb. 21, 1968 – b. 1101 p. 238
Robert E. & Sally A. Webster – Mar. 13, 1968 – b. 1102 p. 200
Robert A. Finlayson – Aug. 3, 1972 – b. 1199 p. 20
Robert A. Finlayson – Aug. 28, 1984 – b. 1864 p. 122
Springburn L.L.C. Series Park Street Village – Dec. 17, 2007 – b. 11002 p. 328
Shopping Center built 1984 – 22 Units
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Park Street Village|
|Present Use||Shopping Center|
|Original Use||Pitman Lumber & Building|
|Foundation||stone, granite, concrete|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||1984 - conversion to shopping center.|
|Demolition Details||1984 rear lumber shops and sheds|
|Map and parcel||39-100|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Jan. 19, 2015|