Decorative front gable, bay windows, simplified Queen Anne style
The pasture land on this side of Red Spring Road, formerly known as Mineral Street before 1904, was once owned by brothers Abel & Paschal Abbott. The Abel & Paschal built and lived in the houses at #51 and #53 Red Spring Road, respectively. Their 75 acre farm included much of what is now the campus of Andover High School. The Abbott brothers built a woolen mill in 1813 on the Shawsheen River at the bottom of the hill of Red Spring Road and Essex Streets. Their mill was purchased by Smith and Dove Manufacturing Co. in 1843. The Abbotts’ farm was sold to a brother Job Abbott who in turn sold to his son Amos C. Abbott. Paschal and his family moved to Dexter, Maine. Abel and his wife Mary remained at #53 with a life tenancy until their deaths.
Amos C. Abbott sold to John Chandler in February 1869 and moved west to Kansas. Chandler was an Andover merchant with his business on Main Street. He ran a successful wood and coal fuel company. He also tended to his 75 acre farm. After John Chandler retired he began selling off his property. The three and a half acre pasture across the street from his home was sold off in house lots in 1887
Joesph Midgley purchased two parcels of land from Chandler on July 16, 1888. Midgely died seized, and his heirs Charles O. Shattuck, Martha J. Davis & Mary A. Sargent, next of kin, inherit the property. The property is transferred to John Bain of Lawrence on Dec. 11, 1890 and then sold to Mary Cox on Jan. 15, 1891.
John Henderson purchased the lot of land on Nov. 7, 1892.
Nov. 25, 1892 Andover Townsman – John M. Henderson has begun building a house on Mineral Street in Abbott Village. John Dubord put in the cellar. [correction later John Henderson – no M.] A 1906 map of Andover reveals that the house built was the two family next door at 60-62. This portion of his lot would become the site for their carpenter shop.
March 25, 1892 AT - “Abbott Village School”, the present school building in Abbott Village will be moved from the foundation during the coming spring vacation and placed temporally, so that it can be used until the new one is completed, on which work will begin very soon. School vacation begins Friday, April 1.
June 22, 1894 AT p.1 The old Abbott Village Schoolhouse buildings are advertised to be sold at auction tomorrow (Saturday June 23) afternoon at 2 o’clock by auctioneer Rogers.
June 29, 1894 AT p. 1 – Sold At Auction – Old Abbott Village Schoolhouses – The old Abbott Village schoolhouse buildings were auctioned off by Rogers last Saturday afternoon. The large one brought $36 and was bought by the Henderson Brothers who will use it as a carpenters shop. The small one was knocked off to Andrew Thompson for $84 and he will convert it into a dwelling. [28 Cuba St.]
John Henderson moved the old schoolhouse to this lot and on the map it was sited next to the road lengthwise across the lot.
August 1, 1894 AT – A part of the old Abbott Village schoolhouse it seems, is now the Red Spring pavilion, where a dance is advertised for every Friday evening, with music by the Lowell orchestra. To-night Miss Maud Hopkins, child cornetist from Lowell, is advertised to play.
It is yet unknown when the old schoolhouse was finally removed and Henderson built the house on this lot.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories
John Chandler - Feb. 23, 1869 - b. 769 p. 137 - farm at #51
Joesph Midgley - July 16, 1888 - b. 96 p. 511 & 512 two parcels
Joesph Midgely estate, died seized
Charles O. Shattuck, Martha J. Davis & Mary A. Sargent, next of kin
John Bain - Dec. 11, 1890 - b. 110 p. 186
Mary Cox Jan. 15, 1891 - b. 110 p. 188
John Henderson - Nov. 7, 1892 - b. 122 p. 49
Jemima A. Henderson - July 28, 1919 - b. 404 p. 571 - second parcel
Jemima A. Henderson & Beatrice H. Henderson - Mar. 16, 1944 - b. 663 p. 91
Beatrice H. Henderson - by will probate - Jemima died Dec. 14, 1948
Clifford S. Wrigley - Jan 30, 1976 - b. 1275 p. 524
Clifford S. Wrigley, estate
Eric Tetler - June 22, 2007 b. 10805 p. 384
Maeve A McGrotty -
|Street||Red Spring Rd|
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||John Henderson House|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||John Henderson builder|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl siding Interior renovations 2007|
|Map and parcel||72-9|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 5/2014|