Cape Style home
This land along the east side of Stevens Street was once large meadow and part of the Abraham Marland’s homestead estate at 29-33 Shawsheen Rd. Marland established the Marland Mills in 1807 and built his mansion house in 1813, living there until his death in 1849. His son-in-law Francis Cogswell and wife Mary Sykes (Marland) Cogswell bought the house from her mother’s estate in 1855 owned until 1880.
The Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. purchased the property in August 1887 converting the homestead into a tenement house for operatives in their mill. In 1907 they developed Brechin Terrace in the back field and yard of the Marland-Cogswell house.
The field on Stevens St. (once named Marland St.) was a meadow pasture until 1941.
With the purchase of the Smith & Dove Co. in 1927, by the Ludlow Co., the property holdings were placed into the Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. and the property was sold off to private owners. The name was later changed to Andover Home, Inc. in 1928.
The loss of many jobs when the company moved and the stock market crash in 1929, left many properties unsold, vacant and some foreclosed on by the banks. The remaining properties were purchased by Virgil D. Harrington, a purchasing agent for Phillips Academy. Harrington then transferred the remaining property to the Indian Ridge Co. Inc. of which he was treasurer.
Indian Ridge Co. drew up plans in Aug. 1941 to sub-divide the former pasture into new house lots. (See Plan #1374) These lots, eight in all, were marked A through H along Stevens Street. Lot A remained vacant at the corner of Stevens St. and Shawsheen Rd.
Lots B – H were sold to Ronald J. White of Reading, MA who then built the Cape style homes. On Feb. 20, 1942 the deeds were transferred to White who had completed four houses and sold back to the Indian Ridge Co. lots H-G-F. E on Feb. 20, 1942. The remaining lots B-C-D were transferred on Jan. 27, 1943. On March 25, 1943 Gertrude Barnard Bergstrom, widow of Francis Bergstrom, purchased all eight lots and the seven homes. It appears that she was to rent them as income properties and sold off a few. The 1943 Andover Directory lists on two residents in the homes Lealand & Mary Cook at #70. He was employed by GE. At #80 was Benjamin & Doris Miller., he an operative at Marland Mills. The rest of the houses are vacant at the time the publication. Gertrude sadly died on April 21, 1944 at age 80 and her estate went to her son Phillips B. Bergstrom of Cleveland, Ohio. Phillips began the sale of all the remaining homes.
Phillips B. Bergstrom sold to Harold E. & Eleanor Heseltine on Nov. 17, 1944. Heseltine is remembered as the family who opened "Fords Coffee Shop" at 14 Main Street. It was later sold to the Koravas family and an Andover institution. Heseltine later moved to Elm St. and sold to Rosa A. & John Ashton on July 21, 1950. Sadly Rosa died a few month later on Oct. 7, 1950. Her husband John Aston remained and then sold to Richard W. & Helen C. Ashton on Apr. 10, 1953. Ashton worked for Tyer Rubber building rubber rollers. They were long term residents and owners for 53 years. They placed the property in the Helen C. & Richard W. Ashton Nominee Trust in Apr. 5, 1999. Ashtons sold to
Timothy H. Tryder & Bobbie Lyn Daly in Sept. 2006.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser AA
Historical Sketches of Andover, S. Bailey 1880
Andover Historical Society files.
Andover Valuation and directories
Abraham Marland - 1811-1849
Mrs. Abraham (Mary) Marland - 1849-1854
Francis & Mary Sykes (Marland) Cogswell - 1854-1880
Francis Cogswell Estate - Probate Mar. 1880
John F Cogswell & William Hobbs, Extrs - Mar. 1880
Reuben Merrill - June 21, 1880 - b. 60 p. 564
Esther M. Cogswell, wife of John F. - June 21, 1880 b. 60 p. 566
John F. & Esther M. Cogswell
Smith & Dove Manuf. Co. - Aug. 8, 1887 - b. 92 p. 100
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc., Geo. Endicott, pres. Feb. 21, 1927 - b. 529 p. 583
Andover Homes, Inc. – Jan 3, 1928 – b.538 p 356
Virgil D. Harrington – June 7, 1932 – b. 564 p 546
Indian Ridge Co., Inc. Chester W. Holland, treas. - Nov. 15, 1932 - b. 567 p. 266
Gertrude B. Bergstrom - Mar. 25, 1943 - b. 656 p. 529
Phillips B. Bergstrom - Extr., by Will - Probate - Apr. 23, 1945
Harold E. & Eleanor Heseltine - Nov. 17, 1944 - b. 671 p. 224
Rosa A. & John Ashton - July 21, 1950 - b. b. 739 p. 126
John Aston, by heir, Rose died Oct. 7, 1950
Richard W. & Helen C. Ashton - Apr. 10, 1953 - b. 774 p. 347
Helen C. & Richard W. Ashton Nominee Trust - Apr. 5, 1999 - b. 5407 p. 270
Timothy H. Tryder & Bobbie Lyn Daly - Sept. 29, 2006 - b. 10416 p. 47
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Heseltine - Ashton House|
|Architect/Builder||Ronald J. White, builder|
|Wall/Trim||vinyl clapboards & trim|
|Map and parcel||54-20|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 7/2014|